Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Brother HL-3040CN won't stop printing!

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
vortis

Brother HL-3040CN won't stop printing!

#1 Post by vortis »

Wheezy, amd64. Brother HL-3040CN installed as LAN printer. Using okular I can print a page, all is fine. However, if I ask for more than a single copy of a page, the printer carries on printing until it runs out of paper. Accessing the printer from a Windows 7 notebook on the same LAN, then multiple copies are handled correctly.

stevesr0

Re: Brother HL-3040CN won't stop printing!

#2 Post by stevesr0 »

What does it keep printing? The same page again and again? A few "strange" characters per page? Something else?

Have you got CUPS installed? If so, how is the printer defined and configured?

Does it make a difference if you try printing as root or as a regular user?

Can you connect the computer directly to the printer to test if it prints correctly then?

What printer driver are you using?

vortis

#3 Post by vortis »

stevesr0 wrote:What does it keep printing? The same page again and again? A few "strange" characters per page? Something else?
It prints the whole of the first requested page, looks normal, just too many copies of it.
stevesr0 wrote:Have you got CUPS installed? If so, how is the printer defined and configured?
Yes, CUPS is installed. Not sure what you mean by "defined and configured". Printer is connected via LAN rather than USB; the CUPS connection is described as "lpd://BRN001BA97E3B19/BINARY_P1". Default settings are no job sheet, A4, single-sided.
stevesr0 wrote:Does it make a difference if you try printing as root or as a regular user?
No, same behaviour.
stevesr0 wrote:Can you connect the computer directly to the printer to test if it prints correctly then?
You mean via USB instead of LAN? Not easily, printer is situated away from computer.
stevesr0 wrote:What printer driver are you using?
Described in CUPS as "Brother HL3040CN CUPS (color, 2-sided printing)". Can't remember where it came from during the installation (a few years ago), but it worked fine, including multiple copy printing, up until fairly recently.

stevesr0

#4 Post by stevesr0 »

@vortis,

Have you tried using a different application to print the document?

Steve

vortis

#5 Post by vortis »

stevesr0 wrote:@vortis,
Have you tried using a different application to print the document?
Steve
Yes. Same result from LibreOffice Writer document and from okular with a PDF.

In case it's relevant, CUPS shows the job as having completed.

stevesr0

#6 Post by stevesr0 »

I just saw your previous thread in this forum from a few years ago.

Have you updated the Brother driver recently?

Steve R

vortis

#7 Post by vortis »

stevesr0 wrote:I just saw your previous thread in this forum from a few years ago.
Have you updated the Brother driver recently?
Steve R
No, or not intentionally! :) It's been working fine since that installation, up until quite recently when the problems described started to occur. I can only think that some system upgrade procedure (I've upgraded from Squeeze to Wheezy, for instance, as well as occasional general updates of packages to latest versions) has changed something elsewhere.