Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

sudo configuration question

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
jhigz

sudo configuration question

#1 Post by jhigz »

I'm trying to configure sudo so that my user account can perform system/package updates rather than having to be root. I've edited the file as shown below, but as it stands, it will allow my user account to launch the applications listed in the "Cmnd_Alias", but fails to prompt me for my user password before performing the task.

Here's my /etc/sudoers file:

# /etc/sudoers
#
# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
#
# See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
#

# Host alias specification
Host_Alias PINGSTORM = localhost

# User alias specification
User_Alias UPDATERS = jigs
User_Alias PACKAGERS = jigs

# Cmnd alias specification
Cmnd_Alias CONTROL = /usr/bin/apt-cache, /usr/bin/apt-get, /usr/bin/aptitude
Cmnd_Alias SEEKER = /usr/bin/dpkg, /usr/bin/wget

# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL
jigs PINGSTORM = CONTROL
jigs PINGSTORM = SEEKER

When I list the available sudo tasks for my user account, it displays the following:

jigs@pingstorm:~$ sudo -l
User jigs may run the following commands on this host:
(root) /usr/bin/apt-cache, /usr/bin/apt-get, /usr/bin/aptitude
(root) /usr/bin/dpkg, /usr/bin/wget
jigs@pingstorm:~$

I have not used the NOPASSWD tag, so I'm a bit confused as to why it's not requiring me to authenticate my user account with the proper password. I'm hoping someone with more knowledge about sudo can point out the error(s) in my sudoers file and correct the lack of password input.

Thanks for any input...
If roots laughing, you better have backups!
Debian GNU/Linux

pigah

#2 Post by pigah »

There is a time limit after an initial sudo event that the password is kept in memory. It is a variable called timestamp_timeout and it defaults to 15 minutes (see the man page). It makes it easier to do repeated sudos without constant password inputting.

jhigz

#3 Post by jhigz »

Hi pigah, thanks for the reply.

I agree, the 'timestamp' does make it easier to do multiple sudos. My issue is that sudo has never required me to authenticate my user account when attempting tp perform any of the commands listed in the "Cmnd_Alias" section of the sudoers file. The first time I issued a sudo command, as user "jigs", it processed the request without asking for a password.

I tried to edit the "User privilege specification" to include the PASSWD attribute as shown below, but it had no effect on the lack of authentication.

jigs PINGSTORM = PASSWD: CONTROL
jigs PINGSTORM = PASSWD: SEEKER

Again, thanks for your reply, and any further help would be more than welcome.
Debian GNU/Linux

lacek

#4 Post by lacek »

Sudo doesn't require password from users who are in the 'sudo' group. Are you a member of that group? If so, remove your user with the
deluser jigs sudo
command.

jhigz

#5 Post by jhigz »

lacek,

I think you found my mistake. I had added my user account to the sudo group shortly after installing Sarge. Until your post, I had forgotten all about that.

I'm currently at work so I'll remove my user "jigs" from the sudo group and update the results tonight.

Thanks...
Debian GNU/Linux

#6 Post by Guest »

Lacek, that was the problem. Removed from sudo group and now requiring my user account to authenticate as expected.

Thanks you!

jhigz

#7 Post by jhigz »

Sorry, forgot to log-in...
Debian GNU/Linux