Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Should I use virtual machines for backup and NAS server ?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
DeaDSouL

Should I use virtual machines for backup and NAS server ?

#1 Post by DeaDSouL »

Hi

I'm building home server.. I'm going to use it for the following things
1. Backing up (6 computers until now)
2. Plex Server to stream 1080p contents to the computers, tablets, phones, and TVs on the network
3. NAS with almost all kind of sharing protocols (smb,afp,ftp....etc) (for Kodi and sharing), transmission ...etc the normal NAS

So, the physical machine will have two virtual machines
First: for the backing up
Second one: for the NAS and Plex

That's why I was wondering... should I use this approach to separate the backups from the NAS and media sharing & streaming ? just to prevent any accidents that could happen to the backups. as well as to secure it more.

or that would be just a waste of the resources ?

Thanks

dasein

Re: Should I use virtual machines for backup and NAS server

#2 Post by dasein »

Something that resides on the same physical medium as the original isn't actually a backup. It's just a copy.

(Just sayin')

DeaDSouL

#3 Post by DeaDSouL »

dasein wrote:Something that resides on the same physical medium as the original isn't actually a backup. It's just a copy.

(Just sayin')
this machine is supposed to back up the other machines on the same network

v&n

#4 Post by v&n »

Sounds a good plan to me, as long as both VMs use independent hard drives.

I hope at least your backup VM does use physical hard drives, not virtual disks (not a good idea to add complexity to backups).

So the host OS+VMs+NAS/Streaming data can reside on one disk (or one set of disks), while the backups reside on separate (or separate set of) physical hard drives. Even better if the NAS/Streaming data also resides on independent physical disk(s).

DeaDSouL

#5 Post by DeaDSouL »

v&n wrote:Sounds a good plan to me, as long as both VMs use independent hard drives.

I hope at least your backup VM does use physical hard drives, not virtual disks (not a good idea to add complexity to backups).

So the host OS+VMs+NAS/Streaming data can reside on one disk (or one set of disks), while the backups reside on separate (or separate set of) physical hard drives. Even better if the NAS/Streaming data also resides on independent physical disk(s).
Yes indeed each VM will have its own independent physical disk(s)

Thanks