Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HELP Synaptic Package Manager error msg?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
knoppixlivekiller

HELP Synaptic Package Manager error msg?

#1 Post by knoppixlivekiller »

How do I fix this???

Code: Select all

E: The value 'wheezy' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a release is not available in the sources
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
I have another copy of knoppix installed should I copy my ect/apt/sources.list.d/ folder? Or is there another way?

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: HELP Synaptic Package Manager error msg?

#2 Post by arochester »

I have another copy of knoppix
Are we dealing with Debian here or Knoppix? Dozens of distros are "based" on Debian but this is Debian User Forums for (just) Debian. We cannot deal with the dozens here.

If it is Knoppix, have you tried the Knoppix Forum? http://knoppix.net/forum/forum.php

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

It's sort of a bug in Synaptic I've encountered. It happens when you have Synaptic set to prefer packages from a specific distro,
wheezy in your case, and then disable any repos that provide that source, and then reload. Synaptic will then not start.

I've fixed it by restoring that repo by manually editing the sources.list file, then apt-get update. Then Synaptic can start, and then the preferences for the distro can be changed to what you want for the future, followed by disabling the old repo again.

I'm sure someone will chime in a with a config file edit that will fix it in one step, too...
MX Linux packager and developer

kmathern

#4 Post by kmathern »

This will reset the DefaultDistro setting in the /root/.synaptic/synaptic.conf file.

su -c "sed -i 's/DefaultDistro \".*\"/DefaultDistro \"\"/' /root/.synaptic/synaptic.conf"
It changes it from 'wheezy' (or whatever else it might be set at), back to:
Synaptic::DefaultDistro "";

knoppixlivekiller

#5 Post by knoppixlivekiller »

kmathern wrote:This will reset the DefaultDistro setting in the /root/.synaptic/synaptic.conf file.

su -c "sed -i 's/DefaultDistro \".*\"/DefaultDistro \"\"/' /root/.synaptic/synaptic.conf"
It changes it from 'wheezy' (or whatever else it might be set at), back to:
Synaptic::DefaultDistro "";
First off thank you for the reply here is what happened...

knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ su -c "sed -i 's/DefaultDistro \".*\"/DefaultDistro \"\"/' /root/.synaptic/synaptic.conf"
sed: can't read /root/.synaptic/synaptic.conf: No such file or directory

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Perhaps because you are running Knoppix?

Anyway, did you try my solution of restoring the wheezy repository just long enough to do an "apt-get update", then setting Synaptic to prefer something other than Wheezy?
MX Linux packager and developer