Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

samba user permissions

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
ricanlinux

samba user permissions

#1 Post by ricanlinux »

I am having an issue with with give a user access to my samba share on my machine running Debian Jessie.

I have a 1TB usb drive that I am sharing using Samba and NFS. Now the drive and everything underneath is owned by root, but the permissions are 777 so anyone should be able to mount read and write. I created a Samba account for myself and have been able to mount the share on multiple machines. However I created an account for my wife, she cannot. Here is how I made her account

1. created her an account with no shell: useradd username -d /dev/null -s /dev/null
2. then create a samba user for her: smbpasswd -a username

Her machine is running Ubuntu-GNOME so I opened the files application browse the network saw the share, but when I tried to mount through the app I am asked to put in my wife's credentials. I enter them and it says permission denied. Anyone have any ideas what I am missing?