Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

The SSH suite

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
stabby

The SSH suite

#1 Post by stabby »

I recently installed SSH onto my box so that I could tinker around with my Debian server from a more familiar (Read: Windows) environment. What I didn't realize at the time was "apt-get install ssh" grabs an entire suite of SSH utilities- including an sftp server.

That's all fine an dandy, as I intended to give my machine some FTP capabilty at some point, but my question is- where are the config files for it? I've poked through the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file and I don't recall seeing any mention of the FTP server.

I'm hoping there's some files in there where I can set up a host of things, maybe even disable it and instead use vsftp.

Go easy on me now, I'm pretty much a Debian (And Linux for that matter) newbie, still cutting my teeth :P

kenton

#2 Post by kenton »

There don't appear to be any config settings specifically for sftp that I can see. You can disable the sftp server by commenting out the...

Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/sftp-server

entry from /etc/ssh/sshd_config, then restarting sshd. sftp connections then bomb out with:

Request for subsystem 'sftp' failed on channel 0

Hope this helps.

stabby

#3 Post by stabby »

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't find config files for the sftp server, whether there are any or not. Disabling it for now has worked good, thanks for the help!