Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Interesting performance issues

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
runfrodorun

Interesting performance issues

#1 Post by runfrodorun »

Hi!

I'm experiencing an interesting performance issue with icedove (thunderbird).

When I start up the program after a cold boot (nothing in cache) the gui will instantiate and then the computer will lock up for about a minute or two with the HD led solid on. During this time, my whole entire xfce desktop, icedove, and other running programs in X are not responsive whatsoever. If I switch to a tty and try to log in, the system can't launch bash because it's too busy waiting for something icedove is blocking. After about a minute or two the computer will come around and things will unfreeze. I decided to launch icedove with iotop open, and I see that icedove in fact does max out my estimated io bandwidth, and kworker thread also seems to use about 0.5% for the duration of the lockup.

Also interesting, I have spinning platters still, the drive light is solid on, but it is either reading a continuous file or something else very wrong is happening, as the heads do not move for the entire duration. I do not believe that my drive is failing, although I suppose I could be wrong, as everything checks out, SMART checks out, and the system appears to be working just fine. I have yet to run other tests but I'll let you know what I find. I contacted a friend and he said he had a similar problem and it had something to do with kworker thread.

Let me know if you have any suggestions, otherwise I'll post back when I've figured some things out.

-RJ
Much opinionated.
Some abrasive.
No systemd.
Wow.