Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

jessie nvidia-settings multiple monitors

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
diddum

jessie nvidia-settings multiple monitors

#1 Post by diddum »

Hello everybody, this is my first "Heeelp!" in years.
I've always used Debian with a single monitor and no need of proprietary drivers, because I usually don't do
graphics or multimedia.
Now I'm asked to set-up a machine with 3 nvidia video cards (770) and 4 monitors
and everything went south.

I started with just 2 monitors connected to 2 different video cards, not wanting to push my luck.

I installed a fresh Jessie and followed the instruction to install the nvidia drivers and tools from the Wiki.
Everything went smooth. After reboot I executed (as root) nvidia-settings and I configured
the two monitors to be one to the right to the other, with BaseMosaic option (at this point just one
monitor was active) I saved the configuration to /etc/X11/xorg.conf , I even executed nvidia-xconfig as suggested,
I rebooted and nothing happened, only one monitor
was working, while the other -- looking again in the nvidia settings -- was still disabled.

I then tried with xinerama option and things are even worse, since now both monitors are black. I
can login in one textual shell, but then I don't know what to do, since in my 10+ years of linux
I never had to mess with X server. Is there a way to at least recover a working X without reinstalling everything?

I really do not want to have to install windows on this machine, but I'm growing a little desperate....
Any suggestion ? Thanks,
Giovanni