Difference between sites-available and conf-available

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

Difference between sites-available and conf-available

Postby jimbolaya » 2015-09-09 17:10

I spent some time searching for this on google and here but have yet to find a definitive answer. I even looked in /usr/share/doc/apache2 for clues.

This is sort of a two part question.

1) What is the difference between sites-available and conf-available. I am spinning up a new server for home to replace an older one (actually, the same hardware, just moving from Ubuntu 12.04 to Debian 8). My old apache2 stuff is a mess, but it more or less works. I'd like to do things properly going forward. I've installed Owncloud, MythWeb and DotClear. As I was looking around trying to figure out where apache was finding those, I discovered all the sites are in conf-available, which is new to me, and not located in sites-available leading me to the idea that conf-available is where packages install their sites. Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

2) On my old setup, I ran my Owncloud, MythWeb and DotClear as virtual hosts and it was complicated, but I got it to work. Assuming the above is the case and each of the sites I want to run have their own setup in conf-available, I am inclined to modify each of the conf files there to manage the virtual host entries, but I'm not sure if that's the "best practice" for a setup like this. For instance, dpkg will complain about different files in those areas when I do a package update, so is it better to make a copy in sites-enabled and make the changes there?

Bonus question. I would like to redirect :80 to :443 for all the virtual hosts I'm running. Should I do that for each virtual host or is it better to do this redirect somewhere central to handle all the virtual hosts?

Thank you for reading this. Please feel free to redirect me to the proper documentation that I may have (likely) missed.

James
jimbolaya

Return to System configuration