Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Jessie Upgrade ssh command line reboot problem - SOLVED

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
horace

Jessie Upgrade ssh command line reboot problem - SOLVED

#1 Post by horace »

I've upgraded a server on our LAN from fully functioning Wheezy to Jessie. All seems fine except remote administering using Putty from my windows workstation when issuing reboot from command line, it goes down and reboots but stops at login prompt asking for username and password and does not come back on the LAN network. This server does not normally have a monitor or keyboard so my ability to remote admin this server in effect is disabled. If I log on, it will come back on the LAN network. I've checked the logs but can't see any errors. Is it in the configuration of Jessie somewhere or perhaps a Grub issue. Can someone point me in a direction to resolve this? I have 5 other production Wheezy servers that I intend to update to Jessie once I understand how to deal with this problem. I've spent hours reading forums, but have not seen this issue discussed. Many thanks
Last edited by horace on 2015-11-17 14:18, edited 1 time in total.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Jessie Upgrade ssh command line reboot problem

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

horace wrote:it goes down and reboots but stops at login prompt asking for username and password.
That's normal, (yes, on Wheezy too...)
This server does not normally have a monitor or keyboard so my ability to remote admin this server in effect is disabled.
How?
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

horace

#3 Post by horace »

Since I administer the server remotely with Putty and there is no keyboard or monitor installed, a remote reboot requires physically going to the server, hooking up a monitor and keyboard to login then it finishes properly. With my other Wheezy servers on the LAN, upon reboot (shutdown -r now), they come back up automatically. So did this server before I converted it to Jessie. It seems that I should be able to resolve this with Jessie somewhere in the configuration, but I'm mystified as to where. Did I do something wrong or make an incorrect choice in the (apt-get dist-upgrade) from Wheezy to Jessie? Maybe I'm brain dead. Thank you everyone for any help.

horace

#4 Post by horace »

Well I'm mystified because things now work with my Jessie server dist_upgrade. Here's what I did.
I rebooted a few times, then edited /etc/ssh/sshd_config; commented out PermitRootLogin without-password
Just below it, added the following line: PermitRootLogin no
Rebooted a few times (shutdown -r now), and now things work. Thank you for listening.

horace

#5 Post by horace »

SOLVED