Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

*SOLVED* Tab Completion Within FTP Server

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
underscoredot

*SOLVED* Tab Completion Within FTP Server

#1 Post by underscoredot »

Hello all!

I'm having a lot of difficulty trying to use tab completion while working in my FTP server from a terminal.I access this server with other Linux distros and OSX and the completion works fine. I've tried changing a lot of Debian config, but it seems to only affect the completion within the local scope. Thanks in advance for the help.

EDIT: Tab completion does work for system related tasks, no problem.

System:
Debian 8.2/Kernel 3.16.0-4-amd64

FTP Server:
Trendnet TS-I300 NAS with FTP/upnp

Settings:
Enabled in bashrc:

Code: Select all

if ! shopt -oq posix; then
   if [ -f /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion ]; then
         . /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion
   elif [ -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then
         . /etc/bash_completion
   fi
fi
Last edited by underscoredot on 2015-11-17 09:51, edited 1 time in total.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: Tab Completion Within FTP Server

#2 Post by steve_v »

Which FTP client are you using? I have tab-completion in lftp, and I don't recall having to do anything special to get it.

This would have to be implemented by the ftp client (as lftp does), bash/bash_completion has nothing to do with it as it's not a local shell.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

Even though :
access this server with other Linux distros and OSX and the completion works fine.
, I have never encountered this kind of problem using,
Debian 7.8. "wheezy", nor Debian 8 Jessie, at least on my hosting and the server they use. I have not tried others.
In a nut shell , I did some searches, on This:
FTP Server:
Trendnet TS-I300 NAS with FTP/upnp
My guess, is it is a "firmware problem", but also "trendnet" appears to be real expensive junk, mostly intended for use with MS windows, all though they claim to also "comply with linux SMP standards, also I read that they offer very poor support.
The model you show,is rather outdated, and intended for:

MS windows,NT / Windows98
DISCONTINUED PRODUCT
The TS-I300 (Version 1.0R) has been discontinued. For a list of discontinued products, click here.
this server with other Linux distros and OSX and the completion works fine
Which other Linux distros, specificly ?
Debian does not come with certain kinds of non-free firm ware, or "drivers", "other distros" often do. So you may need to read some manuals, or just stick with the "other distros",
I've tried changing a lot of Debian config, but it seems to only affect the completion within the local scope
If you are missing a piece of firmware (non-free firm ware) , you can change configurations to your hearts content, but that will not solve anything.
Here is some information on the "firmware" needed, but also you should NOT download the firmware from there, but try to find it in the Debian repos, (read the manuals on that) if you all ready tried installing firmware, via a "wire less" method, according to this, you all ready have "broken" it.

http://www.trendnet.com/support/support ... 0_TS-I300W

There are more details here:
drivers and firmware for Trendnet TS-I300 NAS with FTP/upnp

underscoredot

#4 Post by underscoredot »

steve_v wrote:Which FTP client are you using? I have tab-completion in lftp, and I don't recall having to do anything special to get it.

This would have to be implemented by the ftp client (as lftp does), bash/bash_completion has nothing to do with it as it's not a local shell.
I've been using the normal 'ftp' that's bult-in. With lftp my completion works fine, so I guess I'll just use that as a workaround.
I figured that it may be the case the ftp program needed to have this option enabled, but I could not find anything in the man pages about it.
At any rate, thanks for the tip. I was so caught up in fixing it I didn't even think to try another ftp client.

I have never encountered this kind of problem using,
Debian 7.8. "wheezy", nor Debian 8 Jessie, at least on my hosting and the server they use. I have not tried others.
This includes Debian-based distros like Kali and Ubuntu. Also my openSUSE has never had a hiccup.
My guess, is it is a "firmware problem", but also "trendnet" appears to be real expensive junk, mostly intended for use with MS windows, all though they claim to also "comply with linux SMP standards, also I read that they offer very poor support.
The model you show,is rather outdated, and intended for...
I mean, if talking smack about it makes you feel better, go ahead... I've been running this NAS server for over 5 years straight with minimal issue.
And I'm not sure if you're trying to be insulting when you say "So you may need to read some manuals, or just stick with the 'other distros'", but you are. It's 100% not a problem with firmware or non-free software. So... thanks for not helping and being insulting.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#5 Post by steve_v »

GarryRicketson wrote:--8<--
Irrelevant rant
-->8--
I'd usually turn a blind eye, but I have to agree with the OP on this one. This clearly has nothing to do with Trendnet (outdated or not), MS Windows, firmware, or your opinion on someone else's hardware choices. :roll:
Your post is condescending, makes little sense, and completely fails to address the issue at hand - I really don't see what non-free firmware has to do with a plain old FTP client.
Having a bad day Garry?

Back on topic:
Lftp is the best FTP client I have seen, and has a bunch of other shiny features, like segmented downloads 'n stuff. :)

My guess is that those 'other distros' provide something other than the traditional 'ftp' that Debian ships, or patch in the feature.
Adding alias ftp=lftp in ~/.bash_aliases would be an easy way to get the same.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

underscoredot

#6 Post by underscoredot »

steve_v wrote: Lftp is the best FTP client I have seen, and has a bunch of other shiny features, like segmented downloads 'n stuff. :)

My guess is that those 'other distros' provide something other than the traditional 'ftp' that Debian ships, or patch in the feature.
Adding alias ftp=lftp in ~/.bash_aliases would be an easy way to get the same.
I had a while to play around with it now and it seems to have some really nice features (highlighting is definitely a win); also glancing at the man pages it has a ton extra features as well. I think I'm just going to stick with this and call it a win. Thanks again.