[SOLVED] Unable to browse network

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

[SOLVED] Unable to browse network

Postby geekosupremo » 2015-12-16 20:04

Issue: When in Thundar (on XFCE - Debian 8.2) and I click the "Network" icon in the left sidebar the following message is displayed.
Failed to open "/ on". Specified location is not supported.

I configured eth0 according to the manual instructions for a static IP in /etc/network/interfaces on the Debian Wiki. I can use the terminal (stterm) to ping other computers on the network. I can SSH to other computers. I can apt-get update. I can surf the web (I'm posting from the affected machine). I have Samba installed.

Near as I can tell addressing the network, and seeing the windows devices should be fine.
Last edited by geekosupremo on 2015-12-16 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
geekosupremo

Re: Unable to browse network

Postby steve_v » 2015-12-16 20:24

I may be barking up the wrong tree here, it's been a while since I used XFCE... do you have gvfs-backends installed? IIRC Thunar uses gvfs for 'virtual' (e.g. network) filesystems, and (again IIRC) the xfce-desktop task installs only gvfs, but not the gvfs-backends package.
Failing that, does samba/cifs browsing work with e.g. smbclient at a console?
steve_v

Postby geekosupremo » 2015-12-16 20:36

steve_v wrote:do you have gvfs-backends installed? IIRC Thunar uses gvfs for 'virtual' (e.g. network) filesystems, and (again IIRC) the xfce-desktop task installs only gvfs, but not the gvfs-backends package.

I did not before but I added them an now it seems to be working! Thanks so much!
geekosupremo

Postby steve_v » 2015-12-16 21:02

Excellent :D
For the benefit of others, recon you could add [SOLVED] to the topic title?
steve_v

Postby geekosupremo » 2015-12-16 21:08

steve_v wrote:For the benefit of others, recon you could add [SOLVED] to the topic title?

Done and done! I just wanted to try a few things to make sure that it was genuinely solved. :wink:
geekosupremo

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to browse network

Postby doraimom » 2016-09-30 13:50

steve_v wrote:I may be barking up the wrong tree here, it's been a while since I used XFCE... do you have gvfs-backends installed? IIRC Thunar uses gvfs for 'virtual' (e.g. network) filesystems, and (again IIRC) the xfce-desktop task installs only gvfs, but not the gvfs-backends package.
Failing that, does samba/cifs browsing work with e.g. smbclient at a console?

Debian 8 here, with XFCE.
Same problem using Thunar. smb:// doesn't work, and clicking on network browser inside it also displays error message.

Installing the missing package gvfs-backends solved the problem. It was the villain!

Thank you very much!
doraimom

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to browse network

Postby braze » 2017-10-03 14:26

--bingo-- !! its 'was' gvfs-backends

thanks,, ** worked for me too. was starting to get frustrated
braze

Return to System configuration