Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Trying to make install dbus -1.10.8 causes login failure

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
danantharaman

Trying to make install dbus -1.10.8 causes login failure

#1 Post by danantharaman »

Hi

I am using

Debian 3.16 Jessie

Recently I tried to upgrade the bluez version(from 5.23 to 5.38) on my system following the instructions here http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/vi ... bluez.html. I also needed the development libraries from bluez hence the manual install. Before I actually updated bluez, when I did a make install on dbus (dependency for bluez) after reboot I started getting login failure (login service failed to start), some errors below

[Failed] Failed to start Login Service
[Failed] Failed to start Modem Manager
[Failed] Failed to start Network Manager

I also see

bluetooth hci0: firmware: failed to load Intel/ibt-hw-37.7.10-fw-1.80.2.3.d.bseq (-2) messages at the beginning of boot. I am using Lenovo yoga 2 with dual boot of debian and Windows. This system also has a combined bluetooth and wifi adapter I think. I tried to get the fw .ucode again and copy it over to /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-7260-9.ucode and this did not help. I dont know how to recover from this error. I dont have access to wifi, but I can use ethernet to get packages

apt-get update -> works
apt-get upgrade -> gets stuck half way through

I did a

dpkg --configure -a -> worked
apt-get purge dbus -> gets stuck when trying to remove bluez (still at older version 5.23), and needs a reboot. I tried dpkg --configure -a and then apt-get install dbus again and this gets stuck at Setting up colord (1.2.1-1+b2)

I am currently able to login to recovery mode. How can I cleanly remove the things installed with make install

I have also tried make uninstall and see similar issues.

In my systemctl --failed I see dbus and bluetooth service both were loaded but dbus failed to start. I think bluetooth is loaded after dbus.

One of the posts suggested using
delgroup systemd-jounal this caused further issues causing systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service to fail

if anyone knows how to fix this, any ideas/help is greatly appreciated

Thank you
Danantha