Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

domain control noob

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Dr. Pariolo

domain control noob

#1 Post by Dr. Pariolo »

Hello,

So in the same fashion as this other topic of mine: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=127712

I am posting here about domain control because I am happy with the feedback I am receiving in the other topic and I am looking forward the same experience here.

Let me give a little background. For professional purposes I come from managing multiple microsoft services (domain controller, exchange, sharepoint, etc) on hyperV and windows 2012r2, and long story short, I want to do the same thing on linux.

So, the virtualization part is covered on the other topic.

But I'd like to know about is about domain control/management.

My research says that the tool for that is LDAP, is from what I understand is a bridge to an existing Active Directory.

2 questions before we go any further: is my understanding and summary of LDAP right? And second, if so: is there any kind of NATIVE linux domain management system? That covers the same purposes. So: users accounts hosted on a domain controller, clients login by user@linuxdomain, shared ressources, administrative control like Group Policy Objects, etc. ?