Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Virus

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Egerbever

Virus

#1 Post by Egerbever »

My PC is slower than usual and when I give the command netstat in cli I see that a remote address is conected.
I closed al apps that use internet connection (ximian, mozilla, etc)

Could this be a vires or something like that?

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

The probability of a virus spreading in Linux environment is low, but of course it is possible. In my opinion, it is more likely that your system is backdoored. To decide this, please close any non-essential applications, and see if the communication channel is still open. Use the 'netstat -ap' command (as root) to see which apps are trying to communicate. If you see anything suspicious, you can track down the offending program.
If you having difficulties understanding the netstat output, you may paste it here, and we will try to give you a hand.

Egerbever

#3 Post by Egerbever »

I closed all the apps that had something to do with networking and no foreign addresses where given.
And the computer reacted normal again.

But still:
If there is some kind of suspicious IP connected to my computer, How can I kick it off and block it the next time?

lacek

#4 Post by lacek »

You have to have iptables enabled in your kernel to do firewalling. If you have, you can simply do this:

Code: Select all

iptables -I INPUT -s (offending_ip) -j DROP
If you need a deep explanation what iptables does and why, see the Iptables Tutorial