Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Make pulseaudio work inside chroot

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
andros705

Make pulseaudio work inside chroot

#1 Post by andros705 »

I have amd64 Debian Jessie and i386 Debian Jessie installed on my laptop.
I wanted to start x86 app that is installed on my x86 OS from my amd64 OS using chroot.

My mounts inside chroot:

Code: Select all

/dev/sda7 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sda5 on /tmp type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered)
/dev/sda5 on /etc/resolv.conf type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000)
none on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=4k,mode=755)
systemd on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
/dev/sda5 on /var/lib/dbus/machine-id type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered)
sda5 is host OS and sda7 is guest OS

when I start any x86 app I can see "failed to create secure directory (/run/user/1000/pulse) permission denied"
how to make pulseaudio to work inside chroot?

also can somebody explain what this command exackly does?
"pactl load-module module-simple-protocol-tcp rate=48000 format=s16le channels=2 source=auto_null.monitor record=true port=8000 listen=127.0.0.1"

gradinaruvasile

Re: Make pulseaudio work inside chroot

#2 Post by gradinaruvasile »

Pulseaudio is primarily user-based software. I would say forget chroot and just add the i386 arch and install the 32 bit apps/libs on the main install - it will save you a whole lot of pain. Using chroot to separate 32 bit libraries from 64 bit libs doesnt make sense on a desktop computer. Why do you use it?
Chroot should be used when a stand alone environment is needed but it is not a complete one. It can be used for example to compile different architecture software and such, but it doesnt always work if you need it to interact with your base installation (especially in case of graphical desktop environments).

The command loads into a running pulseaudio instance the "module-simple-protocol-tcp" module with some parameters that probably mean listening for connections on localhost on port 8000. Why do you ask?

BTW if this is about running Debian on Android, you should explicitly specify it because its not a standard use case.

andros705

Re: Make pulseaudio work inside chroot

#3 Post by andros705 »

No it is debian on debian but I found that command on android forums