Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to configure 802.11x WPA2 Enterprise Network?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
xXANGELXx

How to configure 802.11x WPA2 Enterprise Network?

#1 Post by xXANGELXx »

Hello fellows!

it's been already around 2 weeks trying to configure this type of Network in a "nano" jessie server, I say "nano" because this device is a little armv5 robot (more like a little programmable car), I'm using it for a project in school, it has only 64MB RAM and of course there's no possibility to start a graph environment (to make things easier), so everything is via SSH.

I already tried using wpa-supplicant, connman, nmtui, nmcli, with no success, the only asset that on testings got some good results is a conf file and the Network-Manager daemon, the problem now is that the Network get authenticated and later on (around 10 seconds after) gets de-authenticated with no obvious reason, I took a look to dmesg but doesn't show any good info that could allow me to debug or going deeper into the problem to solve it.

could you guys guide on how to log network events?

I've looked for info on the web, no luck on that, so I decided to post a message here, hoping you guys can enlighten me! :) ... my configuration file looks like this:
placed on /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections

Code: Select all

[connection]
id=SSID_NETWORK
uuid=349d6365-b3c2-415a-9433-ac77b631bbfd
type=wifi

[wifi]
ssid=SSID_NETWORK
mode=infrastructure
mac-address=A0:5D:5E:25:15:12
security=802-11-wireless-security

[802-1x]
eap=ttls;
identity=USERNAME
phase2-autheap=mschapv2
password=MYPASSWORD

[wifi-security]
key-mgmt=wpa-eap

[ipv4]
method=auto

[ipv6]
method=auto
ip6-privacy=0
I already tested this configuration on a Raspberry and everything works just fine, but this little guy is still refusing to work.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

kind regards!

Angel.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: How to configure 802.11x WPA2 Enterprise Network?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

xXANGELXx wrote:could you guys guide on how to log network events?
Probably best to use the systemd journal, guide here:
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... stemd-logs

The dropouts you describe could be due to power management in your wireless interface, check the output of:

iwconfig
This is in the wireless-tools package.

Disable power management with:

# iw dev wlan0 set power_save off
If this helps, make it permanent with a udev rule at /etc/udev/rules.d/70-wifi-powersave.rules

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="net", KERNEL=="wlan*", RUN+="/sbin/iw dev %k set power_save off"
If this doesn't help, post details of your hardware:

lspci -knn|grep -iA2 net
deadbang