Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

btrfs for raid

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
stratacast1

btrfs for raid

#1 Post by stratacast1 »

I know that this has been asked before, but with the constant growth of btrfs, I want to get a more clear answer with a newer kernel and I want to know what people think of this for OS and data reliability.

I'm looking at running Debian Jessie for an owncloud/email server and upgrading to a newer kernel, that way I get more recent btrfs features and bug fixes. I remember reading that btrfs does its version of RAID 1 and has good stability, correct? I'm mainly wanting to do RAID56 with 3 disks however which they say is stable as of kernel 3.19 (except power outages can cause data corruption potentially). I definitely want to do some sort of RAID in the filesystem to increase data integrity. So will upgrading to the newest stable kernel in the backports be safe as well as doing btrfs RAID56? Or should I look at doing RAID 1?

pylkko

Re: btrfs for raid

#2 Post by pylkko »

I think that it is probably that there is no one here using btrfs raid56, so you might have more luck asking on btrfs mailing list/irc.

Or, you can search the net and try to guess. For example this guy at archlinux forum lost his data on btrfs raid5 because one of the three drives physically died and he could not recover/degrade the array. This was in september 2015, not that long ago. (but to be fair, as noted in the comments partially due to the user not being entirely competent). But for a owncloud server you could maybe just use raid1 and have a backup. If you use btrfs at the backup destination also, the you can always just send the differences to the new location, which would mean that incremental backups would be a matter of seconds or minutes at most.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=202393