Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

AMD A10-8700P making sure I get the most out of my system

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
whitebunnyflock

AMD A10-8700P making sure I get the most out of my system

#1 Post by whitebunnyflock »

Hi everyone,

I recently loaded Debian Jessie 8.6 onto my Acer laptop. It has an AMD A10-8700P at the heart of the system. Had to do a bit of work to get the Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 wi-fi working on the machine but otherwise all has gone well. What my questions is, am I getting the most out of this machine by running Kernel 3.16? If not how can I tell which kernel to use that will properly support my hardware? The model number on the machine is E5-552G-T324. I have had a couple of random reboots that I havent been able to track down and sometimes wonder if perhaps not all is communicating with the hardware as it should be.

thanks in advance for your help

vbrummond

Re: AMD A10-8700P making sure I get the most out of my syste

#2 Post by vbrummond »

There is only one "generic" kernel for Debian that you need. The only thing I would recommend is possibly tracking testing/sid to get the latest kernel/mesa. If your performance seems satisfactory as it is, leave well enough alone. "Maxing out performance" isn't helpful if it already works 100% properly. Chances are you will just mess something up.
Always on Debian Testing

whitebunnyflock

Re: AMD A10-8700P making sure I get the most out of my syste

#3 Post by whitebunnyflock »

the problem i have mainly with this setup the way it is, is that there is no support in kernel 3.16 for my wireless card, a Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377. I installed a second debian system and started to track stretch. I did a minimal upgrade (aptitude upgrade after adding stretch to my sources.list file). After updating all the packages I installed the latest and greatest kernel (4.8.0-amd64) and was unable to boot into the system without switching back to 3.16 (would freeze on bootup prior to even starting the X Server, updated video drivers to open source AMD ones and then it would still freeze with a kernel panic). I can't seem to find a debian kernel package for kernel 4.4 which would be nice since it does support the wi-fi out of the box. Am I missing something? I can run Linux Mint 18.1 and it has kernel 4.4.0 which supports the card however I much prefer to run Debian.