Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

syncing files from mounted sd to mounted hdd with verificati

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
creepwood

syncing files from mounted sd to mounted hdd with verificati

#1 Post by creepwood »

I'm not very fluent in this world but I need some hands on help on making this work.

issue:
I have a raspberry pi running raspbian pixel. I will bring this on my travels to backup my video and photos. I will not bring keyboards or anything like that. The only interface I will have is (if I can get it to work) a tiny 3½ inch touch screen. What I want to do is have a 2½ inch external usb drive connected and whenever I insert an SD card the system will sync the files from the SD card to the external hdd, after that I want the system to verify (hash or checksum or something like that) that every file was synced and then and only then remove the corresponding file from the sd-card.

I only have semi-interrim knowledge in linux (running a headless home server for four years) and I'm not feeling confident enough to rely on something this important without having some help from someone who knows what they are doing.

Secondary but not essential is that I would love for it to also sync the files to google drive (or possibly owncloud, I have a VPN server in my home that I use when abroad) when and if I have an internet connection (I will be travelling south east asia so the internet access might not always be present.

possible issues:
I will use several SD-cards so making fstab rules for every single card might not be possible (or maybe needed?), especially if I buy a new card during my travel
The datetime stamp on the SD-card files needs to be intact since the raspberry pi doesn't have an internal clock battery but relies solely on ntp

GarryRicketson

Re: syncing files from mounted sd to mounted hdd with verifi

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

So, what version of Debian are you using ?

creepwood

Re: syncing files from mounted sd to mounted hdd with verifi

#3 Post by creepwood »

GarryRicketson wrote:So, what version of Debian are you using ?
Sorry I forgot.
I'm on raspbian pixel,