Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

CPU scaling - why aren't I drawing more power?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
tppytel

CPU scaling - why aren't I drawing more power?

#1 Post by tppytel »

Longtime Debian user (since ~2000), but I haven't done a fresh install in several years at least. (When did we get real web forums instead of mailing lists? How chic!) I'm configuring a new home server and exploring current power saving technology. Hardware is a new Kaby Lake i3 (TDP 51W) on an Asus H170 board, running Jessie with the backported 4.x kernel. The box is hooked up to a Kill-A-Watt on my outlet which reports power usage of ~21W after installation, which seems fine. But I was playing around with the various cpufreq and kernel options just to learn how the architecture works, and I don't understand what I'm seeing. I was trying to run the CPU cores at full speed just to see what the max power draw would be, but the reading at the Kill-A-Watt doesn't change from ~21W. I booted with intel_pstate=disable and ran "cpufreq-set -g performance". Also disabled Asus's EPU in the BIOS. Running cpufreq-info reports the current core speeds are at the max of 3.9GHz on all cores. Cat'ing the various files in /sys shows the performance governor in use and the max frequency being used as well. So why doesn't the reading at the Kill-A-Watt change? I was expecting it to increase significantly.

Obviously this isn't a "real" problem - I don't really want to use more power than I need to. But I do want to understand how the current power management system actually works. Is something else scaling CPU frequencies down or reducing power draw here?

phenest

Re: CPU scaling - why aren't I drawing more power?

#2 Post by phenest »

I have one of those outlet devices for measuring power consumption too. But 21W doesn't seem much to me. Are you sure it's working correctly? I'd imagine a low end consumption of at least 100W.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

tppytel

#3 Post by tppytel »

This is the first time I've used the Kill-A-Watt myself, so I don't really know. But there's not much in the system - a pair of solid state drives, integrated graphics that are just driving a text console, and a couple of low-speed fans. There's also a mechanical drive and an additional NIC, but neither of those are being used by the OS yet. If I load the CPU using the "stress" tool, the KAW registers ~50W consumption.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

tppytel wrote:I booted with intel_pstate=disable and ran "cpufreq-set -g performance".
Have you tried the "performance" setting with pstate enabled?

It should still work: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentatio ... pstate.txt

Also, I would submit that perhaps the information in syphilisfs, sorry, sysfs is incorrect.
kernel.org wrote:The idea that frequency can be set to a single frequency is fictional for Intel Core processors. Even if the scaling driver selects a single P-State, the actual frequency the processor will run at is selected by the processor itself.
deadbang

tppytel

#5 Post by tppytel »

Setting the performance governor with P-states enabled does not increase measured power consumption either.
kernel.org wrote:The idea that frequency can be set to a single frequency is fictional for Intel Core processors. Even if the scaling driver selects a single P-State, the actual frequency the processor will run at is selected by the processor itself.
But that would explain things. The CPU is smart enough not to run any faster than it actually needs to. Thanks.

pendrachken

#6 Post by pendrachken »

Did you measure the draw when the system was actually under load? The totals for watt draw are usually for when the CPU is under load and working, not sitting idle... no matter the clock scaling.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P