Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

failed to initialize HAL!

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
nbi

failed to initialize HAL!

#1 Post by nbi »

For reasons unknown I'm suddenly getting the above message in a popup window upon start of Etch. I've done a lot of googling to dig for info, but haven't found anything helpful. I've reinstalled both dbus and hal, but that hasn't helped. I have confirmed that dbus-daemon is indeed running. When I run hald with --verbose=yes it aborts with the following:

16:55:28.055 hald.c:619: Device probing completed
16:55:28.055 hald_dbus.c:4074: entering
16:55:28.056 [E] hald_dbus.c:4081: dbus_bus_get(): Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Sent kill to 19349
Sent kill to 19376
Sent kill to 19356
Sent kill to 19353
Sent kill to 19346
/usr/lib/hal/hald-addon-acpi exited

Any suggestions/ideas are most welcome. Thanks.

Not getting hald running wouldn't be that big of a deal as I can do without automounting of partitions, but at a minimum I'd like to get rid of that annoying popup error window!

nbi

#2 Post by nbi »

Never did solve the problem, but everything seems to run just fine without HAL. I actually think this is an improvement because I didn't like having other partitions automounted anyway (the automounting is an irritation when trying to find things via 'find / ....' :-)).

For the time being I'm launching a C program via cron right after bootup which kills the popup error window using xlsclients and xkill.