Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

LAMP install

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
TomMaterene

LAMP install

#1 Post by TomMaterene »

Hi, I need some help on getting my home server to be accessible using the free dns service dynu. I ran into some issues where the particular program I would like to run required older LAMP parts but managed to find the answer with a backport repository that had what I needed to complete the install of the program I was interested in "cumulusclips" .. I have the server running and it comes up testing on the localhost which it is installed but no matter what I try I cannot get outside accessibility. I use a dsl from star telephone and the correct IP is seen by the dns service and can be updated for all the changes using either my router or the desktop app on my windows machine. I tried putting the linux server on the dmz and also tried port forwarding. I have both that machine and this windows now on a static IP not dhcp . Still no love with seeing the server connect or serve outside the host machine. I cannot use the latest LAMP installs for Debian since it is up to version 7 and the program will not run on the later things only on version 5 myslq and php etc. All the requirements are automatically checked when doing the localhost install method . At this point I have no idea what to even look for. If I thought installing just a regular server distro would help I would do that but the system I am installing to is an older P4 1.7cpu with 750 megs of memory. It should work good as far as resources but I don't think trying to install a regular ubuntu or other distro would fix this problem I have. I'm open to any suggestions by anyone that has had more experience with setting up servers using these free dns services. I have ran websites before using the older apache and same back server setup but this newer apache2 is not familiar to me and I already found some areas where following the instructions on the web were full of holes and left out some setup in the configurations. Thanks for any suggestions

golinux

Re: LAMP install

#2 Post by golinux »

I could never read Proust either . . .
May the FORK be with you!

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

by TomMaterene »I have ran websites before using the older apache and same back server setup but this newer apache2 is not familiar to me

Code: Select all

man apache2
SEE ALSO
apache2ctl(8), /usr/share/doc/apache2.2-common/README.Debian.gz
Such a long post, with no real info,...I did have some problems my self with the newer apcahe2, and there are some "special" instructions, details in the documentation, particularly the "README.Debian.gz", since I was not familiar with it, that is what I did,..
On the "free DNS" services, I do not know anything, but that would be the first
place I would look for support, and instructions on how it should be set up.
The post is simply to long, if there are any relevant details in it I missed them,..
most of it did not make any sense to me.

TomMaterene

#4 Post by TomMaterene »

Sorry it made no sense to you but thank you for taking the time to answer. I thought I was pretty clear but I guess not. I will get it serving

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

Your welcome,...
The thing of it is, there are no details about how you have anything configured,...for example , what does your /etc/hosts have in it ?
Does it have all the correct info,..?
It also is not clear as to what version of Debian you are using,.?
That probably does not matter much, I also agree probably trying a different distro won't solve the problem,
There also is a /etc/hosts.allow file, and the hosts.conf file,....these could
be the problem, but with no info on how you have them configured,..
Maybe a "firewall" in your router,..?,....everything is just wild guesses,
with out any details on the configurations.
As I suggested, read the "Debian read me", file carefully, then double check and make sure everything is configured the way it says it should be.

alan stone

#6 Post by alan stone »

InAnyWayPossibleCouldYouPleaseAmongstOthersWriteInShortParapgraphsThatWouldWouldGreatlyImproveYourPostReadibilityAnd
ImproveYourChancesOfReceiveingAHelpfulReplyThankYouVeryMuchHopeThisIsUsefulForFutureQuestionsInThisForumOrOther
ForumsInsofarYouPostSamewiseInOtherForumsOrOnTheInternetInGeneralIDon'tKnowWhatDoYouThink? :idea: <- burning LAMP