Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

systemd hangs on create volatile files and directories

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
abukva

systemd hangs on create volatile files and directories

#1 Post by abukva »

Since I've updated from 4.8 to 4.9 kernel, sometimes my systems hangs on boot with

Code: Select all

A start job is running for Create Volatile Files and Directories (3min 58s / no limit)
INFO: task kworker/0:2:235 blocked for more than 120 seconds
Not tainted 4.9.0-1-amd64 #1
"echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message
A start job is running for Create Volatile Files and Directories (5min 8s / no limit)
I've googled and found a similar problem that people had resolved by removing /tmp folder (because it was bloated). I've tried that but my /tmp only had 7 files 4KB each approximately. Nevertheless I've removed it and created another one with:

rm -rf /tmp
mkdir /tmp
chmod 1777 /tmp
When I boot and check /tmp right away I still have those same files that I've removed before the boot.
The problem still occurs sometimes, when it does I just need to restart machine with Ctr+Alt+Del and hopefully it will boot without errors.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: systemd hangs on create volatile files and directories

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

You should use the systemd journal to investigate this:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... stemd-logs

You will need to set the journal storage to "persistent" to be able to view logs from previous boots, the method for this is outlined in

man journald.conf
deadbang

abukva

#3 Post by abukva »

Hi, it took a while for the error to appear.

LOG

abukva

#4 Post by abukva »

I think I found a source of the error, I was tweaking my touch pad sensitivity and speed and followed this guide.

Mar 04 08:14:28 abukva systemd[1]: Starting Create Volatile Files and Directories...
Mar 04 08:14:28 abukva systemd-tmpfiles[472]: Failed to write file "/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/speed": No such device
Mar 04 08:14:51 abukva systemd[1]: systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=15/TERM
Mar 04 08:14:51 abukva systemd[1]: Stopped Create Volatile Files and Directories.
Mar 04 08:14:51 abukva systemd[1]: systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service: Unit entered failed state.
Mar 04 08:14:51 abukva systemd[1]: systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service: Failed with result 'signal'.
Where I've used

sudo systemd-tmpfiles --prefix=/sys --create
to create tmp directory for my settings and that is causing this error to appear. This looks like systemd tries to write to a file but it is not there, maybe it should be called later during the boot process.

edbarx

#5 Post by edbarx »

So, the error was caused by the new changes you, the OP, did. When a malfunction or error is caused after making custom changes to packages, it is logical to first assume, the malfunction is caused by those changes. Obviously, this is a rule of thumb which cannot apply when changes have been proven to work.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

abukva

#6 Post by abukva »

Yes of course but the error sporadically appears and the first time was a couple of weeks after the change so I forgot that I've changed this. I think I've found a solution it by creating a udev rule and a unit file to call that udev rules.