Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cannot install or uninstall btsync

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
triplemaya

Cannot install or uninstall btsync

#1 Post by triplemaya »

Spend a fruitless morning trying to get btsyc to work, and installed and uninstalled many times trying out btsync-gui / btsync-user / btsync-user-gtk etc.
Now I cannot uninstall it. Error is:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintinstall/AptClient/AptClient.py", line 80, in _run
    cache.commit(acquire_progress_monitor, install_progress_monitor)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 508, in commit
    raise SystemError("installArchives() failed")
SystemError: installArchives() failed
And every time I do an update the system tries to install btsync-user and fails.

Error is:

Code: Select all

(synaptic:16036): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_child_watch_add_full: assertion 'pid > 0' failed
(Reading database ... 198729 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../btsync-user_1.16.0-1_all.deb ...
Unpacking btsync-user (1.16.0-1) over (1.16.0-1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/btsync-user_1.16.0-1_all.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/btsync', which is also in package btsync 2.3.8-1
postrm called with unknown argument `abort-upgrade'
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 1
I have searched here and on google for " unknown argument abort-upgrade" but the results I get seem to me to be dealing with quite low level stuff and I don't want to start experimenting when I have no idea what I am doing. At the moment the system still works!
This seemed like a good decision when I found this comment on the forum in one of the posts:
Unfortunately the whole debian package system depends on the installation scripts never failing :(#
Version is 3.16.0-4-amd64
Using LMDE2 based on Jessie with MATE