Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Quality of fglrx driver in Jessie?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
swirler

Quality of fglrx driver in Jessie?

#1 Post by swirler »

I'd like to know if other folks using the fglrx driver in Jessie ( version 15.9-4~deb8u2 in the Debian repository) also experience poor performance, like that weird effect when you drag a window across the desktop and it leaves a trail all around it (is that "screen tearing", BTW ?) - truth to tell, I've used this driver (well, its equivalent) on other debian-based distros (and in Wheezy) previously, and I didn't see this issue.

I reckon this driver will be abandoned in the future - however, before figuring out what to do when this happens, is there any tweak that I can try to make things better for the time being ?

I think I've more or less tried the available settings in the control panel, are there any more settings that I could try in the xorg.conf file ?

stevepusser

Re: Quality of fglrx driver in Jessie?

#2 Post by stevepusser »

You could try the newer version of the driver in jessie-backport to see if that makes any difference: https://packages.debian.org/jessie-back ... lrx-driver
MX Linux packager and developer

bw123

#3 Post by bw123 »

....this driver will be abandoned in the future - however, before figuring out what to do when this happens...
That part will be simple figure out, you'll have to use the free radeon driver like the rest of us, or inve$t in new hardware that suppports the newer drivers.. Maybe spending some time now on that solution, instead of the failing alternative would be smart?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

swirler wrote:that weird effect when you drag a window across the desktop and it leaves a trail all around it (is that "screen tearing", BTW ?)
i don't think so:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing