Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

troubleshooting MySQL on Jessie

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
prppedro

Re: troubleshooting MySQL on Jessie

#16 Post by prppedro »

Well, not that modern Workbench wouldn't work with older versions. Mine connects sometimes to a very old NT 4 server, when I need to extract data from an ancient DB. But Oracle is Oracle, go figure...

Glad it's working anyway. And, perhaps, it was indeed a problem with config/lib.

Cheers,
-trp
Linux User #457653

My PC specs: a bunch of old Intel chips, some memory, a just good enough GPU. I guess it ran Crysis, though UPS didn't quite like it.

In my experience, there's no such thing as Year of Linux...

mzimmers

#17 Post by mzimmers »

I think the problem was that I'd inadvertently created a Frankenstein MySQL through my various installations and removals. The server would come up, but the configuration files were all fouled up, so it couldn't really do anything (like accept connections). Once I thoroughly scrubbed my system of all MySQL files, the installation went well.

millpond

#18 Post by millpond »

mzimmers wrote:I think the problem was that I'd inadvertently created a Frankenstein MySQL through my various installations and removals. The server would come up, but the configuration files were all fouled up, so it couldn't really do anything (like accept connections). Once I thoroughly scrubbed my system of all MySQL files, the installation went well.
I believe that part of the initial confusion was that the prime MYSQL configuration file has historically been named my.cnf

There are numerous example files for differing configurations that assume you know this.