Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Jessie with HW RAID

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Schnoof

[SOLVED] Jessie with HW RAID

#1 Post by Schnoof »

Hello,

we've just got a new computer having a hardware RAID and decided to install Debian Jessie. We use the recommended partition setup (root, home, var, tmp, swap). We now have the problem that the system always starts in emergency mode. Sometimes it boots without visible errors (only green OKs). Sometimes it cannot mount some or all of the partitions (in this case we of course there are not only green OKs). Every boot is different, it is not fully repeatable.

When we call update-grub it says that it cannot create /var/lib/os-prober/mount. The directory /var/lib/os-prober/ indeed does not exist, but the package os-prober is installed.

What can we do to solve our problem?
Last edited by Schnoof on 2017-03-21 13:56, edited 1 time in total.

Segfault

Re: Jessie with HW RAID

#2 Post by Segfault »

What makes you think you have hardware RAID?

Required reading.

If you really have hardware RAID, what model?

Schnoof

#3 Post by Schnoof »

It actually is what I was told.

What I can see is:
We have a IMB-M43 motherboard
Serial ATA: 6x SATA 6.0 Gb/s connectors
Software RAID support 0/1/5/10
We have 2 hard disks

The content of your link is blocked by our proxy.

Schnoof

#4 Post by Schnoof »

The problem is solved.

The one who installed used an older tutorial (https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/SataRaid). It says to change /etc/fstab for swap to UUID. Since systemd it seems that swap is mounted automatically so this is not needed anymore. We commented out this line now. All other entries were also changed to UUID. Now we changed the entries to /dev/dm-x and it simply works and successfully boots.

Segfault

Re: [SOLVED] Jessie with HW RAID

#5 Post by Segfault »

You should have used mdraid instead. It was in that article you neglected to read.

Schnoof

Re: [SOLVED] Jessie with HW RAID

#6 Post by Schnoof »

I cannot read what I cannot open. There are many useful websites blocked and I have to confine myself to those not blocked.