Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] In Game recorded audio is pretty much static

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Snake

[SOLVED] In Game recorded audio is pretty much static

#1 Post by Snake »

I'm not sure if it goes here or in Hardware.

I tried using both the Gnome EasyScreenCast extension and SimpleScreenRecorder. I'm trying to record gameplay but the audio in the video is pretty much nothing but static and a somewhat whirring noise. You can barely makeout the games audio.
I can't figure this out.

I ran "pactl list short sinks" and found that my audio card uses 96000Hz, so I ran "sudo nano /etc/pulse/daemon.conf" and enabled the lines for sample rate and changed it to 96000 and then killed pulseaudio and started it but to no avail. I also ran alsamixer and messed out with the capture levels but that didn't help either.

What do I need to do about the static? Google isn't helping much. Here a video I made a uploaded to YouTube so you can See what I'm talking about: https://youtu.be/8JJ4NCESktg

Here my audio card from arecord -l:

Code: Select all

card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 2: ALC1200 Alt Analog [ALC1200 Alt Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Thanks

EDIT: I noticed that in EasyScreenCast and SimpleScreenRecorder both, it records the audio at the wrong sample rate at 44100Hz and 48000Hz instead of 96000Hz. Could that be the cause?
Last edited by Snake on 2017-03-27 21:36, edited 1 time in total.

debiman

Re: In Game recorded audio is pretty much static

#2 Post by debiman »

Snake wrote:the audio in the video is pretty much nothing but static and a somewhat whirring noise. You can barely makeout the games audio.
maybe it's recording the microphone input?

Snake

#3 Post by Snake »

debiman wrote:
Snake wrote:the audio in the video is pretty much nothing but static and a somewhat whirring noise. You can barely makeout the games audio.
maybe it's recording the microphone input?
I don't have a microphone plugged it when I'm doing that. I tried all the available audio input sources during recording but all them resulted in the same statcy noise.

I did try it once with a microphone plugged into my desktops mic input jack and it recorded my voice no problem, nice and clear. But I couldn't figure out how to get it to recored the in-game audio and my voice at the same time. With the mic plugged in, no matter what audio input source I tried during recording, it always recorded trough the mic for some reason instead of recording the in-game audio, unless I'm missing something. I don't know how everyone that uploads Linux videos on YouTube gets it to work, like the people over at GamingOnLinux for example.

So, when I don't have a mic plugged in, the in-game audio is static but with a mic plugged in, my recorded voice it clear but no in-game audio.

Snake

#4 Post by Snake »

UPDATE: I fixed it. I had to disable the HDMI audio. Now the recorded audio is as clear as a bell, That's fine by me as I don't use a HDMI monitor right now. Will one day.