Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Radeon HD 6530D driver needed for Debian 8.1

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
MikeLieberman

Radeon HD 6530D driver needed for Debian 8.1

#1 Post by MikeLieberman »

I have a five year old PC that I am attempting to give new life to. It's an Acer Aspire M3470G. It comes with embedded Radeon HD 6530D on the system board. Debian doesn't have open source drivers for this. I note that there is a propitiatory driver for Ubuntu, but the latest Ubuntu simply refused to even load on this unit due to some BIOS issues. I have no idea if it will work with this Debian build and apt-get doesn't at present have a source for it.

I have Debian 8.1 running on it. The video due to the fact that it doesn't have the right driver, is running in 1152x864 which distorts the video.

It there a driver I can use with this PC?

shep

Re: Radeon HD 6530D driver needed for Debian 8.1

#2 Post by shep »

Not mentioned in your post is the non-free firmware. This link describes how to install the firmware and configure xorg.conf.d to optimize 3D performance. If that does not work, I would consider either jessie-backports which provides a newer driver or installing stretch. Stretch is soon to be released and is fairly mature at this point in time.
Last edited by shep on 2017-03-28 00:04, edited 2 times in total.

stevepusser

Re: Radeon HD 6530D driver needed for Debian 8.1

#3 Post by stevepusser »

The short version: There is a free driver in the kernel. but it needs non-free firmware for full perfomance: https://packages.debian.org/jessie/firm ... ux-nonfree

The proprietary fglrx AMD driver is also installable from the non-free section; instructions are in the wiki.
MX Linux packager and developer