Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Unable to boot due to NFS start job.

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
thegiantcat1

Unable to boot due to NFS start job.

#1 Post by thegiantcat1 »

Hello,

I am having an issue with a system running Debian 8.7.1 i386, when I go to boot I get a startup job that runs:

a start job is running for lsb: nfs support files...

There is no limit on this start job, I checked the following but am lost at this point.
1. Made sure there was no NFS share getting mounted in FSTAB
2. Added "allow-hotplug" into my network config file, as well as commenting out the whole file, and also using a static.
3. Checked scripts in /etc/init.d/ none of these as far as I could see were causing the issue, I commented out all scripts that had mention of NFS
4. Re imaged the system with the original image to make sure it wasn't something I had done that caused this issue.

Basically at this point I just want to either set a timeout for the startup job, skip it, or disable NFS all together unfortunately I am unable to find where the job is running from. Is there a way to find this.

As a note the only way I am able to access this file system currently is from booting from a CD and going into rescue mode.

acewiza

Re: Unable to boot due to NFS start job.

#2 Post by acewiza »

You likely have a failing drive. Just a WAG. :(
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

thegiantcat1

#3 Post by thegiantcat1 »

I thought that might be the case as well. I threw the image on a separate drive and got the same issue. It wouldn't be a problem, however the start job has no timeout so it just sits on it forever.

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

I've been messing with these trying to get kernel 4.9 to boot on this machine.

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/sy ... -line.html

In your case, maybe masking networking.service will get you in? I recall some issues with networkmanager not being up when networking tries to start also, try either mask NetworkManager.service it or tell systemd that network.service rquires it?

Wish I could tell you how to do that from the kernel command line, but there are links to the man pages online at the link.

These issues are one reason I always keep sysvinit available.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

pylkko

#5 Post by pylkko »

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl list-units
You might find either nfs-server.service or nfs-client.target or sometihng and just disable them.