Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

wifi signal low

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
debianmaster

wifi signal low

#1 Post by debianmaster »

Since i installed debian, wifi signal is very low and sometimes disappear totally.
I tried some solutions suggested on web but signal is still low.
(great summary of things to do in this link: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=229452).

It have spend several days on it, i'm desperate ^^.

Below, some informations that can be usefull:
- Network controller:
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

- rfkill list all:
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no
1: asus-wlan: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
2: asus-bluetooth: Bluetooth
Soft blocked: yes

- iwconfig:
wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:"*****"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: *****
Bit Rate=12 Mb/s Tx-Power=16 dBm
Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=30/70 Signal level=-80 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:53 Invalid misc:29597 Missed beacon:0

A little assistance would not be refused :)
Have a good day.

dcihon

Re: wifi signal low

#2 Post by dcihon »

Not to hijack your post but I have a similar problem with the same hardware.
My problem is that when the computer stars or should I say I start Linux my wifi is off.
I have to go to a command line and do a rfkill unblock all and then it starts working.
I am trying to find a simple way to do this upon starting up linux but I have failed so far.
I need to learn more about services and writing batch scripts I think.
Sorry to hijack.

Dai_trying

#3 Post by Dai_trying »

I have the same card in my laptop and it works ok here, did you install firmware-atheros? it is in the non-free repository so will need to be added (if not already).

debianmaster

#4 Post by debianmaster »

Yes, firmware-atheros is already installed !

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

That particular chip is one of the very few that doesn't need a firmware package.

Do you get the same problem in Windows or a Live session of another distro that's using a newer kernel?
MX Linux packager and developer

debianmaster

#6 Post by debianmaster »

Wifi signal is perfect on windows and i never tried in another distrib of linux.

Cefiar

#7 Post by Cefiar »

Have you checked to see if you have Antenna Diversity enabled on your card? See https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/use ... adiversity

Most laptops have 2 antennas in them (some have more), and the card can use both to get the best signal.

FWIW: The 2 antennas are usually separated an odd multiple of 1/2 the 2.4 Ghz wavelength in the vertical and horizontal direction (eg: 3/2, 5/2, 7/2, etc, seems to work reasonably for 5Ghz as well FWIW), so that if one antenna receives a low signal, the other should get a decent signal. This is why on many laptops you'll find them on opposite sides of the screen, but not at the same height.

That said, if you haven't got it turned on, you'll only use the Main (primary) antenna.

This can be exacerbated if the Main antenna isn't working properly for some reason (eg: antenna connector unplugged from card, broken antenna lead, etc).

FWIW: I've had a ASUS laptop that I opened up a while ago (never opened since factory) and found the Main antenna lead wasn't plugged into the card, so it was always using the Alternate. It worked OK in Windows, as the wifi driver had antenna diversity enabled by default, but Linux wifi was poor. I've seen similar with other brands of laptop, so it's quite possible, especially if the connector isn't "quite" pushed home and then the laptop receives a bump to dislodge the connector.

debianmaster

#8 Post by debianmaster »

Sorry for the late response.

Thank you for your response Cefiar.
I tried your solution but nothing change. I stil struggle with this bad wifi quality signal.

I am starting to think that there are no solutions. :(

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

Have you tried the newer kernel from backports to see if the ath9k driver in it fixes the bug? I also suggested you try a Live session of a distro with a newer kernel, just to see if it solves the issue, and you just replied, "I have never tried another distro." Please consider taking some advice that we are giving, or it's no use helping you at all.
MX Linux packager and developer