Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] lightdm not starting at boot unless

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
ikunat33

[SOLVED] lightdm not starting at boot unless

#1 Post by ikunat33 »

Hi I have a minimal Debian Jessie install with lightdm and openbox to run over x window.

Everything works fine but only if I log in via terminal first; lightdm will not start at boot time unless I manually set the runlevel via grub.

I have checked and I have /etc/init.d/lightdm
i have installed sysv-rc-conf and it shows that lightdm is set for runlevels 2,3,4, and 5.
I type runlevel at the prompt and get N3 so according to sysv-rc-conf lightdm should have started I think.
I was going to use /etc/inittab to set the runlevel but apparently Debian had done away with inittab so I was hoping someone could let me know how to do this the proper Debian way.

I am obviously missing something.

Thanks.
Last edited by ikunat33 on 2017-04-25 05:09, edited 1 time in total.

Bulkley

Re: lightdm not starting at boot unless runlevel is set in g

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Since you "have a minimal Debian Jessie install" why do you need a display manager? I haven't used one for years.

ikunat33

#3 Post by ikunat33 »

Good for you good for me but the end user may disagree.

For me Linux has always been about the ability to choose. The person I am setting this up for has asked me to configure minimalist host for Virtualbox. The idea being that he can then run any OS he chooses in a virtual container. All Virtual systems will have access to the same shared folders. If he wants to play windows games he can use windows then switch to something else for work or simply get to know Linux better without having to go through the BS of redoing his system every time he wants to try something new. If this works nicely I am seriously thinking of going the same direction.

Now that I have shared is there any chance you could point me in the right direction? I mean I could always just create an inittab and the system should still use it or simply add a permanent runlevel in grub. I assume there is a reason Debian did away with inittab, and putting it in grub seems like the equivalent of a goto statement, I would like to do it the proper way.

Anyone have any Ideas?

ikunat33

#4 Post by ikunat33 »

The solution was:

systemctl set-default graphical.target :P

Thanks for anyone who took time to think about it.