Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

failed ssh login attempts not logged by rsyslog

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
awayand

failed ssh login attempts not logged by rsyslog

#1 Post by awayand »

Hi there,

I am running a pretty vanilla Debian 8.7 installation and noticed any failed sshd logins are not showing up in /var/log/auth.log. I have tried restarting sshd as well as rsyslogd, but no luck.

Anyone else have this problem? I have heard from a friend that knows a lot about computers that it is impossible to troubleshoot this kind of thing on linux and I am probably better off reinstalling. Any advice highly appreciated!

Mark

Edit: I found the solution by simply uninstalling rsyslogd and installing syslog-ng instead. Now logging works just fine. I'd still be curious to know what was causing this, rsyslogd was running as root as per ps, so it wasn't a permission problem.

phenest

Re: failed ssh login attempts not logged by rsyslog

#2 Post by phenest »

awayand wrote:I have heard from a friend that knows a lot about computers that it is impossible to troubleshoot this kind of thing on linux and I am probably better off reinstalling.
awayand wrote:Edit: I found the solution by simply uninstalling rsyslogd and installing syslog-ng instead. Now logging works just fine.
I guess your friend doesn't know that much after all.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D