Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

can't change ssh config file

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
DebianNoob83

can't change ssh config file

#1 Post by DebianNoob83 »

hi there. i'm trying to change some of the values in my ssh config file in order to harden its security,based on ssh hardening tutorials i've found online. but i can't seem to open ssh config through terminal even as root, still says permission denied.
also i can't change the file directly because its set to read only, what am i doing wrong here?

pkladisios

Re: can't change ssh config file

#2 Post by pkladisios »

If you are accurate in your description, then yes it is peculiar. You should provide us with some basic information:
-File permissions. That can be achieved by typing into the terminal

Code: Select all

ls -la 
-Terminal output. What error is returned when you try to alter the contents of the file?
-What program do you use to edit the file? Most people use vi, vim or nano.

Even though it is generally not considered to be a good practice, have you tried staying logged on as the root in the terminal?
Lastly, have you tried shutting down the ssh service? I think that some services lock their configuration files when active.