Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Android emulator in Wheezy, launch error message

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
luiznetto

Android emulator in Wheezy, launch error message

#1 Post by luiznetto »

Good morning all

I installed Android emulator following the instructions shown here:
http://www.2daygeek.com/install-sdk-and ... inux-mint/
They warn us from the beginning that we must install ia32-libs, or we will get an error message when trying to launch the device. This package is not available in the repository; but they tell us then to install the alternative libgl1-mesa-dev which I did. Regardless, even though the installation was apparently sucessful, every time I try to launch the device, I get the same error message:

Code: Select all

Starting emulator for AVD 'device1'
/home/luiz/android/android-sdk-linux/tools/emulator: 1: /home/luiz/android/android-sdk-linux/tools/emulator: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
and the emulator will not launch.
Any suggestions? I thank you in advance.

stevepusser

Re: Android emulator in Wheezy, launch error message

#2 Post by stevepusser »

What is the minimum version of Java that the emulator requires, and what do you have installed?
MX Linux packager and developer

phenest

#3 Post by phenest »

ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

luiznetto

#4 Post by luiznetto »

stevepusser wrote:What is the minimum version of Java that the emulator requires, and what do you have installed?
The closest thing I could find to an answer to the first part of your question is this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1230 ... dk-version
as to the second part of your question, here is the answer:

luiz@debian-luiz-computer:~/test$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_38"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.13.10) (6b38-1.13.10-1~deb7u1)
OpenJDK Client VM (build 23.25-b01, mixed mode, sharing)

luiznetto

#5 Post by luiznetto »

After trying unsuccessfully run the official Android SDK (I tried several versions, they all failed to launch with the same error message), I decided to try something new. I read about Genymotion, but that requires Virtualbox. So I installed Virtualbox 4.1.42-dfsg-1+deb7u1, the one available in the repository. During installation, I got this alarming error message:

[FAIL] Starting VirtualBox kernel modules[....] No suitable module for running kernel found ... failed!
 failed!
with the word "failed" written in red on the black screen.
Regardless, the installation seems to have been successful. Now I need to download the Genymotion binary file and try it.

luiznetto

#6 Post by luiznetto »

I have a 32-bit operating system sitting on a 64-bit machine. Maybe that is the source of my troubles?

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

luiznetto wrote:I have a 32-bit operating system sitting on a 64-bit machine. Maybe that is the source of my troubles?
no.

but using debian oldstable which is seriously dated, to emulate android, an operating system that churns out new versions all the time, it just doesn't compute.
i tried genymotion once and it was definitely buggy. the wheezy version probably even more so.

try to get virtualbox working FIRST (that's a fairly common error, search, here or on virtualbox wiki/docs/forums), maybe then genymotion will work. maybe.