[Solved] dual Radeon setup: persist display settings

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

[Solved] dual Radeon setup: persist display settings

Postby dethegeek » 2017-05-21 19:36

Hi

This week I replaced 2 GeForce 710 GPUs with 2 Radeon R5 230 (plugged to 2 monitors on each GPU). The purpose is to get rid of Xinerama + Zaphod Mode and use RandR. This way, I get better performance and RedShift works on all monitors.

For those interested, here are the links to the working solution (for me):
https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/l ... rama/page2
https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/l ... -gpu-works

In short, here is the solution:
- do not create a xorg.conf monitors on the first GPU are enabled, others are inactive.
- after login, type in a terminal:
# check there are 2 providers
xrandr --listproviders
# enable all monitors
xrandr --setprovideroutputsource 1 0
# use the GUI monitor setup tool to place screens relatively each other.
# or use xrandr CLI

It works very well, but if my session locks due to inactivity or if I logout / login, I have to repeat the commands. My configuration is not persisted.

In the links I gave above, there is no indication to persist these settings other than creating a script. I thought launching a script when my session starts, but this does not do the trick when I unlock my session.

Do you know a better solution to persist my 4 monitors enabled ? Maybe by triggering a script when I unlock my session ?

Thank you !
Last edited by dethegeek on 2017-07-15 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
dethegeek

Re: dual Radeon setup: persist display settings

Postby dethegeek » 2017-05-22 06:15

Hi

I created a script to reduce pain whe setting up my monitors. Being too lazy to read the man page, I searched for ready to use examples, and found the following:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2381 ... ith-xrandr

Maybe putting the script in lightdm.conf as described would solve my question, in addition to the login screen.
dethegeek

Postby dethegeek » 2017-05-23 06:11

Hi

I created the following script, used when my session starts. However if I lock my session and reopen it my session is a fresh one: all my previously running applications are closed. I also notice I have to do 2 login attempts: the first one fails silently, and the second one succeeds.

Code: Select all
#!/bin/sh
xrandr --setprovideroutputsource 1 0
xrandr --output DVI-1 --left-of HDMI-1
xrandr --output HDMI-1-0 --below HDMI-1
xrandr --output DVI-1-0 --below DVI-1

I found a patch to implement a new option in the serversettings section supposed to do the same as xrandr --setprovideroutputsource.

https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/109264/

I'll try it.
dethegeek

Postby dethegeek » 2017-06-03 12:14

Hi

Still talking to myself, maybe noone knows a working setup. Anyway I'm still searching.

I downloaded the sources of the package xserver-xorg-core to test the patch I mentioned in my previous post. Tha patch is working, and I now have an option AutoBindGPU available in the ServerFlags section. I created an xorg.conf with only this option, no ither option, and no other section.
Section "ServerFlags"
   Option "AutoBindGPU" "True"
EndSection

The option seems working: when I login I no longer need to run xrandr to enable all my monitors. They're automatically enabled.

However in the login screen, I only have 2 monitors and I g uess this makes an isue when I lock my session and open it again. As usual, my session closes after unlocking, and I have to login again. My current work is lost.

I'm now trying various xorg.conf files to setup a single screen section with all monitors.

My xorg.conf looks like this, but it does not solbes this last issue

Section "ServerFlags"
   Option "AutoBindGPU" "True"
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier "Card0"
   Driver "radeon"
   BusID "PCI:1:0:0
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier "Card1"
   Driver "radeon"
   BusID "PCI:4:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Default Screen Section"   
   Device "Card0"
   GPUDevice "Card1"
EndSection

I did not found clear enough explanations about GPUDevices in man pages. Do someone can explain me what it does ?
dethegeek

Postby dethegeek » 2017-07-15 17:49

hi

Still talking to myself. I updated my system today. the package lightdm had an update, and I froze xserver packages to not overwrite the patch I'm using. I noticed unlocking my session works now (under Debian Sid).

Problem solved with a patch to xserver-core.
dethegeek

Return to System configuration