Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installation of libraries.

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
yikestone

Installation of libraries.

#1 Post by yikestone »

I want to how and where apt-get installs libraries. How can I install my own built programs in the same manner as apt-get does. For example: I built qt5.8 and installed it in /opt/qt5.8. So, how can I add it to library paths. So, that I can directly use all its libraries. Without specifying then separately. Like when installed through apt-get.

stevepusser

Re: Installation of libraries.

#2 Post by stevepusser »

The LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment setting for that particular application that you want to use QT 5.8?

If you need to have them in apt-get, however, in Jessie, you'll first need to backport all the qt 5.5 packages, then use that to backport 5.6, then that to use that to build a newer version, and so on. It's quite a long process, but it's what NeputuneOS must be doing to get the new Qt 5 and KDE Plasma 5 version on a Debian Wheezy(!) base. I downloaded their ISO and ran it just to confirm that.

I think you may be able to build them in the openSUSE Build Service and chain each repo together, or give each package a different name, in order to speed up and simplify the process considerably. I found that the naming trick at least works for different major revisions of the backported Liquourix kernel, for example: https://build.opensuse.org/project/show ... r:codelite
Last edited by stevepusser on 2017-05-23 17:17, edited 2 times in total.
MX Linux packager and developer

Princess Midna

#3 Post by Princess Midna »

I think you can try to build a DEB package and install it through dpkg, although I personally don't know how to do that.

phenest

#4 Post by phenest »

This is really 2 questions.

apt-get does not decide where libraries go. That is decided by package structure, therefore can differ from package to package. But generally they are placed in /usr/lib.

On my 64bit Stretch system, qt5 libraries are installed under /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D