Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved] Debian Stretch multiarch not working?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
dirkme

[solved] Debian Stretch multiarch not working?

#1 Post by dirkme »

Hi there,

i installed Debian stretch amd64 from the unofficial firmware ISO.

I tried to add the multi arch

Code: Select all

dpkg --add-architecture i386
then:

apt-get update 
and when I check at synaptics for playonlinux i386 it doesn't show and when I try to install it

apt-get install playonlinux:i386
it won't be found.
Last edited by dirkme on 2017-06-20 18:42, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

Re: Debian Stretch multiarch not working?

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Play on Linux is written in the Python scripting language, so the package is arch-independent. However, it's also in the Debian contrib section instead of the default and free "main" section, since it can download and install non-free packages, so you need to add that section to your software sources, You can do that in Synaptic; just edit the main Debian repo entry and add "contrib" after "main" in the section field.
MX Linux packager and developer

dirkme

#3 Post by dirkme »

stevepusser wrote:Play on Linux is written in the Python scripting language, so the package is arch-independent. However, it's also in the Debian contrib section instead of the default and free "main" section, since it can download and install non-free packages, so you need to add that section to your software sources, You can do that in Synaptic; just edit the main Debian repo entry and add "contrib" after "main" in the section field.

Thank you for your reply, I do have it available in synaptics, but when I want to install it it want to install wine and wine64 winei386.

The problem is wine64 causing trouble, when you install world of tanks for example.

In Ubuntu ( I am sorry, I just said it) it only installs the i386 versions and that works just great. I haven't found a way yet to not install the 64 bit wine version.

Who ever does the package could just change it and 64 bit is easy to install if someone needs it in playonlinux/wine. Until then, I seem to have to go to Ubuntu and I rather would use Debian :shock:

phenest

#4 Post by phenest »

If I'm correct, after adding another architecture, you only need specify the package name, and apt will work out which architecture and needed dependencies.

apt-get install playonlinux
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

dirkme

#5 Post by dirkme »

phenest wrote:If I'm correct, after adding another architecture, you only need specify the package name, and apt will work out which architecture and needed dependencies.

apt-get install playonlinux
That's true, but for some reason in Debian it calls for win64 and that is the culprit for world of tanks to run as playonlinux and wintricks are complaining you have win64 installed but you need win32. Even though win32 is installed, win64 is so dominant to screw it all up.

eor2004

#6 Post by eor2004 »

Hi, @dirkme, if you're still having problems with multi-arch, just click on the link below, look for my post and follow the instructions I suggest to the OP, I'm sure it should work, good luck.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=126776
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.

dirkme

#7 Post by dirkme »

eor2004 wrote:Hi, @dirkme, if you're still having problems with multi-arch, just click on the link below, look for my post and follow the instructions I suggest to the OP, I'm sure it should work, good luck.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=126776
Thanks for your reply and that topic, i will give it a try ;-)

dirkme

#8 Post by dirkme »

reinstalled and is now working fine.