Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

printer problem

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Hal

printer problem

#1 Post by Hal »

When I brought up my new Sarge system, I had real problems trying to get my HP printer set up. I finally got the printer to work with cups using an autoconfig program (printconf). I used cups to print out some emails.

Now, my browsers seem to think that I am using lpr and don't give me any chance to specify cups. All the online docs I try to print get sent to the /dev/null bitbucket.

How can I fix my system so my browser and other apps will recognise that I am using cups?? Thx.

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

Do apt-get install cupsys-bsd. After installing this package, CUPS will intercept BSD-style (lpr) print commands and properly process the print jobs.

You did not say what print filter you are using. I recommend that you use HP's HPIJS filters. apt-get install hpijs, restart the CUPS server using the command # killall -HUP cupsd, then point your browser to localhost:631 to do the configuration.

Hal

#3 Post by Hal »

Harold wrote:Do apt-get install cupsys-bsd. After installing this package, CUPS will intercept BSD-style (lpr) print commands and properly process the print jobs.

You did not say what print filter you are using. I recommend that you use HP's HPIJS filters. apt-get install hpijs, restart the CUPS server using the command # killall -HUP cupsd, then point your browser to localhost:631 to do the configuration.

Ok. All of these packages (plus many more) are installed on the box. I go to localhost:631 and I see a cups webpage with the following menu entries:

Do Administration Tasks
Manage Printer Classes
On-Line Help
Manage Jobs
Manage Printers
Download the Current CUPS Software

--------

I go to Manage Printer and see the previously installed printer - HP895cxi. The screen shows:menu choices are:

--------

HP895cxi HP DeskJet 895C Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)

Description: HP DeskJet 895C hpijs
Device URI: parallel:/dev/lp0

Print Test Page
Stop Printer
Reject Jobs
Modify Printer
Configure Printer
Delete Printer
Set As Default

I select Print test page. The machine leaves localhost:631 and goes to http://www.cups.org/ on the web. ?!? I go back to localhost:631 and select Configure Printer. It jumps to http://www.cups.org/ on the web again.

I go into Control Center -> Peripherals -> Printers (This is where I added the printer). I right click on the printer and select "Test Printer" -> "Print Test Page". A test page prints ok. Unfortunately, the user reports that the printer will not function consistantly.

Any thoughts as to why localhost:631 is unhappy? It sees the configured printer but doesn't appear functional. Ideas???

Harold

#4 Post by Harold »

You might try going into localhost:631, deleting the printer, then adding it again. Otherwise, I don't have a clue a this point. :-(