Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

unable to ping the server powered by debian linux

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
snigdha+sonu

unable to ping the server powered by debian linux

#1 Post by snigdha+sonu »

Hi,

I can transfer the files through winscp from my windows pc to debian linux over a network via sftp protocol. But how ever the transfer via ftp protocol doesn't work. Even the ping command is not reachable to the server. Looks like the server is secured server. So, I have a very basic questions

How's that winscp works without a normal ping was unreachable to the server?
Is that possible to map a network drive in windows PC using samba share in debian linux server ? If so May I request the procedure to resolve this issue.
I would be very grateful if some one help out in resolving this issue

dasein

Re: unable to ping the server powered by debian linux

#2 Post by dasein »

snigdha+sonu wrote:Looks like the server is secured server.
It sure does. I take it that it's not your server?
snigdha+sonu wrote:How's that winscp works without a normal ping was unreachable to the server?
Different protocols.
snigdha+sonu wrote:Is that possible to map a network drive in windows PC using samba share in debian linux server ?
Yes. But expect it to require the cooperation of the administrator of the system you're trying to connect to.
snigdha+sonu wrote:If so May I request the procedure to resolve this issue.
Google was able to find over 1,000,000 pages on the subject. Maybe go read 10 of them before you ask someone to create number 1,000,001.

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

...we really need much more information about that server you are speaking of, and also the commands/programs you used to connect to it.
precise, not paraphrased.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ge ... leshooting

snigdha+sonu

#4 Post by snigdha+sonu »

dasein wrote:
snigdha+sonu wrote:Looks like the server is secured server.
It sure does. I take it that it's not your server?
Yes, its the git server from my organisation
snigdha+sonu wrote:How's that winscp works without a normal ping was unreachable to the server?
Different protocols.
snigdha+sonu wrote:Is that possible to map a network drive in windows PC using samba share in debian linux server ?
Yes. But expect it to require the cooperation of the administrator of the system you're trying to connect to.
Yes, I agree with this.. May be I need to contact my administrator.. Out of my curiosity, I just gave a first try.
snigdha+sonu wrote:If so May I request the procedure to resolve this issue.
Google was able to find over 1,000,000 pages on the subject. Maybe go read 10 of them before you ask someone to create number 1,000,001.
Thanks for the Information...