Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Unable to list access point through 'nmcli device wifi list'

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
savin

Unable to list access point through 'nmcli device wifi list'

#1 Post by savin »

Pointlinux recognizes some wireless networks, but does not recognize a certain one that has the same Security as other recognized (WPA1). I proved with Fedora and Poinlinux writing in Terminal nmcli device wifi list. This command, in Fedora, displayes the network that interested me, but Pointlinux does not, even if the signal is strong. Debian does the same. The wireless adapter is an extern one. Plase, have you an idea how to fix this problem?
Thank you.

v&n

Re: Unable to list access point through 'nmcli device wifi l

#2 Post by v&n »

You won't get any help with Pointlinux here, but since you mention it is the same with Debian, I guess we can work with that. Assuming you are running Debian (installed or live), please post the output of :

Code: Select all

iwlist scan
(run as root, you may need to install 'wireless-tools' package to get the iwlist command).

Which channel the Access-Point in question is working on? Have you made sure the wifi adapter in question supports that channel? You can get a list of channels/frequencies supported by your device with 'iwlist chan' command.

savin

Re: Unable to list access point through 'nmcli device wifi l

#3 Post by savin »

v&n wrote:You won't get any help with Pointlinux here, but since you mention it is the same with Debian, I guess we can work with that. Assuming you are running Debian (installed or live), please post the output of :

Code: Select all

iwlist scan
(run as root, you may need to install 'wireless-tools' package to get the iwlist command).

Which channel the Access-Point in question is working on? Have you made sure the wifi adapter in question supports that channel? You can get a list of channels/frequencies supported by your device with 'iwlist chan' command.
savin wrote:Thanks a lot for this advice.
Now I have tested with other iso file (debian-8.8.0-i386-CD-1.iso) in Advanced options -> Graphical Rescue Mode. I got this message:
"Some of your hardware needs non-free firmware files to operate. The firmware can be loaded from removable media, such a USB stick or floppy. The missing files are zdll/zdll211b_ub".
And then, "Configure the network" failed.
Your advice about using the code 'iwlist scan' helps me to understand how to use the 'iwlist' command.