Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Unable to save iptables settings.

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
FoxboyJT

Unable to save iptables settings.

#1 Post by FoxboyJT »

So, at some point I had setup my little debian server to keep open a web server without https, and some other services on other ports, and recently I got a SSL cert, and opened 443 (HTTPS), but am unable to get the changes to save. I tried installing iptables-persistent, and the file that is used by that is updated correctly. I'm kind of at a loss of what's going on now, so I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place. I'm unable to figure out what is updating the iptables when the system loads at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

orythem27

Re: Unable to save iptables settings.

#2 Post by orythem27 »

FoxboyJT wrote: I'm unable to figure out what is updating the iptables when the system loads at this point.
Presumably by a systemd unit file "netfilter-persistent.service" installed at /lib/systemd/system/. Check if you have this unit enabled* or check its status after bootup.

[*] "enabled" means it would autostart at each boot.

FoxboyJT

Re: Unable to save iptables settings.

#3 Post by FoxboyJT »

It was active, and whether or not it's disabled, the rules still seem to be modified automatically. Regardless, netfilter-persistent also seemed to just load /etc/iptables/rules.v4 and rules.v6, which are files i have setup properly for the iptables rules I wanted, as well. Is there any commands I can run to see what's been modifying the iptables rules? It's been so long sense I setup the firewall in the first place, I don't remember what I did at all.