Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved] wifi worked on deb9 netinst but not after install

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
sgian

[solved] wifi worked on deb9 netinst but not after install

#1 Post by sgian »

I have a Panda Wireless PAU07 usb wireless adapter on a desktop pc. The chipset is realtek rt5572 and the driver is rt2800usb from my research. It works on Debian 8. It works on the Debian 9 net-install disc with firmware. However it does not work after Debian 9 is installed and rebooted. Nor does it work with the non-free installation disc for Debian 9.

If I move the desktop to a place near the router and plug in the ethernet cable, the ethernet cable gives internet access without problems. I could not find a linux driver at the Panda site nor at the mediatek site. The mediatek site just had a repackaged Mac driver for linux, that I couldn't do anything with. There are no blacklisted wifi drivers when I checked the /etc/modprobe.d directory. The google searches I did mostly come up with threads from several years ago in Ubuntu that do not appear to help with Debian 9. The command lsmod comes up with various rt2800 and rt2x00 drivers. I had to do a screenshot because I am on the Debian 8 partition to post this instead of the faulty Debian 9 partition and I can't attach the screenshot for some reason. I am running out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Last edited by sgian on 2017-06-20 04:04, edited 1 time in total.

orythem27

Re: wireless worked on deb9 netinst but not after installati

#2 Post by orythem27 »

Boot into your Debian 9 installation, plug in the usb wireless adapter, and post the output of the following commands.

Code: Select all

uname -a
lsusb
lsusb -t
/sbin/iwconfig
/usr/sbin/rfkill list all
Make sure you are in your Debian 9 installation.
sgian wrote:However it does not work after Debian 9 is installed
Describe "does not work" as detailed as possible.
sgian wrote:I had to do a screenshot because I am on the Debian 8 partition to post this instead of the faulty Debian 9 partition and I can't attach the screenshot for some reason. I am running out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Avoid screenshots if you can. Copy-paste the necessary info here. If you must post screenshot, use 3rd-party image hosting services and post the link here. (Do not use the "img" tag, just post the link.)

sgian

#3 Post by sgian »

Thank you for helping. By not working, it will see the networks available but take a long time at "configuring interface". Then it will disconnect saying no wireless networks could be found.

Here are the results of the commands...

uname -a

Linux emach-slim-deb9 4.9.0-3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.30-2 (2017-06-12) x86_64 GNU/Linux
lsusb

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 148f:5572 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5572 Wireless Adapter
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 258a:0001  
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
lsusb -t

/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ohci-pci/10p, 12M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 1.5M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 1, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 1.5M
    |__ Port 2: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 1.5M
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-pci/10p, 480M
    |__ Port 7: Dev 4, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=rt2800usb, 480M
/sbin/iwconfig

lo        no wireless extensions.

wlx9cefd5ff7afd  IEEE 802.11  ESSID:off/any  
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off

enp0s7    no wireless extensions.
/usr/sbin/rfkill list all

bash: /usr/sbin/rfkill: No such file or directory
sudo /usr/sbin/rfkill list all

sudo: /usr/sbin/rfkill: command not found

orythem27

#4 Post by orythem27 »

sgian wrote:...take a long time at "configuring interface". Then it will disconnect
wlx9cefd5ff7afd IEEE 802.11 ESSID:off/any
These kind of interface names that looks like "wlx[macaddr]" could trigger a well-known bug in NetworkManager, causing the exact same phenomenon as you described.

Try disabling "predictable interface name" by adding kernel parameters "net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0" and see if it helps.

See: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwa ... faceNames/

sgian

#5 Post by sgian »

You were right, and following option #1 at the link you posted

ln -s /dev/null /etc/systemd/network/99-default.link
and rebooting got the wifi adapter to work again. Thank you.

orythem27

Re: [solved] wifi worked on deb9 netinst but not after inst

#6 Post by orythem27 »

The actual issue: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=133597
The correct "fix" would be disabling NM's macaddr spoofing. Although (coincidentally?...) disabling predictable ifnames will also work, now I guess it's a overkill.