Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Label on disk device

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
dgerasimov

Label on disk device

#1 Post by dgerasimov »

Hello everyone!

I accidentally run dd over one of my disk device - /dev/sda and now this device have a label. Not a partition label, a disk device label :

Code: Select all

NAME   MOUNTPOINT                                        LABEL                     SIZE UUID
sda                                                      Ubuntu-MATE 17.04 amd64 238,5G 2017-04-12-03-46-12-00
Can someone tell me how to remove it? E2label doesn't do the job, because it's for file systems (partitions). Gparted - same thing. I'm thinking, If nothing else work, I will do dd again, without label.

GarryRicketson

Re: Label on disk device

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

disklabel for Debian

I am just assuming you are using Debian ?

But it looks like you are using "Ubuntu" , so it might be better to ask on a Ubuntu forum

https://www.debian.org/releases/slink/sparc/fdisk.txt
Also see:

Code: Select all

man fdisk
If it is Ubuntu, most of the results here, are for Ubuntu:
how to change the disklabel on a Linux system

dgerasimov

#3 Post by dgerasimov »

No, I'm using Debian. The label "Ubuntu-MATE 17.04" is a result from bad (wrong) dd command.
As far as I know, fdisk can change partition label, I mean /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2 and so on, not on drive it self - /dev/sda . I don't know what "create a new empty DOS partition table" in fdisk do?

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

OK, thanks for clarifying, that it is Debian.
I don't know what "create a new empty DOS partition table" in fdisk do?
It does what it says, it creates a new empty Dos partition,...
Is there data on this Device, ?

I am not sure what to tell you, it may be that I don't understand the situation well
enough,.. You should wait and give this some more time, if none of the search results
can help you, maybe later someone that knows how to explain better then me, will
give you a more useful answer,... sorry