Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wifi doesn't work and PC doesn't have an ethernet port

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Mich-C

Re: Wifi doesn't work and PC doesn't have an ethernet port

#16 Post by Mich-C »

orythem27 wrote:Please reboot and post the output of the following commands.

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep brcmfmac | grep -v "Modules linked"
find /lib/firmware/ | grep brcmfmac43241 | xargs -r ls -l
/sbin/iwconfig
/sbin/iwlist scan 2>&1 | grep Quality
Make sure you have entered the exact command without any typo. e.g. ">&21" is not the same as "2>&1"
I think that we are going in the right direction (see last command ) :)

root@localhost:~# dmesg |grep brcmfmac | grep -v "Modules linked"
[    6.619016] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_drivestrengthinit: No SDIO Drive strength init done for chip 4324 rev 5 pmurev 17
[    6.623489] brcmfmac_sdio mmc1:0001:1: firmware: direct-loading firmware brcm/brcmfmac43241b4-sdio.bin
[    6.623918] brcmfmac_sdio mmc1:0001:1: firmware: direct-loading firmware brcm/brcmfmac43241b4-sdio.txt
[    6.786438] brcmfmac: brcmf_c_preinit_dcmds: Firmware version = wl0: Jul 17 2013 07:36:07 version 6.10.197.71 (r412987) FWID 01-882d2634
[    6.789761] brcmfmac: brcmf_fil_cmd_data: Failed err=-23
[    6.791698] brcmfmac: brcmf_fil_cmd_data: Failed err=-23
[    6.796498] brcmfmac: brcmf_fil_cmd_data: Failed err=-23

root@localhost:~# find /lib/firmware/ | grep brcmfmac43241 | xargs -r ls -l
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 455745 giu 15  2014 /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43241b0-sdio.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 403855 giu 15  2014 /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43241b4-sdio.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   3130 giu 24 18:00 /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43241b4-sdio.txt

root@localhost:~# /sbin/iwlist scan>&21 |grep Quality
Yes I typed with an erroe, I will try again

root@localhost:~# /sbin/iwconfig
wwan0     no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

wlan1     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:off/any  
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:on

orythem27

#17 Post by orythem27 »

Mich-C wrote:Wifi still not working...

[ 6.796498] brcmfmac: brcmf_fil_cmd_data: Failed err=-23
Can you describe exactly what is not working at this point?
Also try executing `iwlist scan` and see if it will scan or not.

Mich-C

#18 Post by Mich-C »

orythem27 wrote:
Mich-C wrote:Wifi still not working...

[ 6.796498] brcmfmac: brcmf_fil_cmd_data: Failed err=-23
Can you describe exactly what is not working at this point?
Also try executing `iwlist scan` and see if it will scan or not.
Hi orythem
I activated the wlan1 using "ifconfig wlan1 up" and I then "iwlist wlan1 scan"
The ouptut reports "no scan results"... :(
I also used wpasupplicant to connect (edited the wpa_supplicant config file with my connection, "sudo wpa_supplicant -B -iwlan1" and "-c/etc/ewpa_supplicant.conf -Dn180211" and "dhclient wlan1") but nothing...

orythem27

#19 Post by orythem27 »

Mich-C wrote:I activated the wlan1 using "ifconfig wlan1 up" and I then "iwlist wlan1 scan"
The ouptut reports "no scan results"... :(
Open a terminal, switch to root, and execute `iwlist scan` and then immediately execute

journalctl --no-pager -n50
(50 lines of log should be enough. If not, increase the number)
Mich-C wrote:"sudo wpa_supplicant -B -iwlan1" and "-c/etc/ewpa_supplicant.conf -Dn180211" and "dhclient wlan1") but nothing...
Are you using a graphical desktop environment?
You can capture the log in a similar manner. Open a terminal and run `journalctl -f` as root to observe the latest log as you try to connect.

peer

#20 Post by peer »

this is taking a long time. If the driver is in the non-free repo's you can try an alternative installation cd: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... -firmware/

orythem27

#21 Post by orythem27 »

peer wrote:this is taking a long time. If the driver is in the non-free repo's you can try an alternative installation cd: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... -firmware/
Yeah...after a long series of exchange we finally managed to get the firmware as well as nvram config in place. Right now I guess OP is experiencing further problems with the brcmfmac_sdio driver, which wouldn't be clear enough until OP provide more infomation.

Mich-C

#22 Post by Mich-C »

Hi guys, excuse me for the late reply but I have been very busy with the university. :cry:
I think that now the most simple way to solve this Wi-Fi problem is to replace this Debian 8 with Debian 9 non-free because I also have other things that don't work at all on this tablet (battery indicator, screen brightness control, standby not working...)

But... does this non-free version of Debian install proprietary drivers by default? I hope it doesn't just include proprietary drivers and instead it installs free drivers by default...

orythem27

#23 Post by orythem27 »

Mich-C wrote:But... does this non-free version of Debian install proprietary drivers by default? I hope it doesn't just include proprietary drivers and instead it installs free drivers by default...
Your wireless card does not use proprietary drivers. It uses open source driver 'brcm80211' together with non-free firmware, which could be supplied by the non-free image.

In the above posts we supplied the driver with firmware (.bin) and nvram config (.txt) and got it up and running, but there are other issues. So yes, moving to Debian 9 would be a good idea. Maybe the newer driver in newer kernel would help.

After installing the non-free version of Debian 9, you probably still would have to put the nvram config file (the .txt) in place in order for the driver to function.