Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How do I create a new boot

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
creepwood

How do I create a new boot

#1 Post by creepwood »

Novice here. bungled my boot when I tried to migrate from one drive to another drive, long story short, I moved my OS from one drive to another and it's contained in an LVM. It's the boot partitioned that got bungled and since it seems that I won't be able to salvage it it seems that creating a new is the second best thing.

My system drive is partitioned in 3 partitions one 512M that's /boot, a second one that's 244M that's /boot/efi and a third one that's the rest of the drive which is inside an LVM Logical Volume

Code: Select all

sda                          8:0    0  55.9G  0 disk
├─sda1                       8:1    0   512M  0 part /boot/efi
├─sda2                       8:2    0   244M  0 part /boot
└─sda3                       8:3    0  55.2G  0 part
  ├─arkham--vg-root        254:0    0  46.6G  0 lvm  /
  └─arkham--vg-swap_1      254:1    0   7.9G  0 lvm  [SWAP]
I've tried a bunch of different things and right now I'm so clueless I don't know where to go, most of the stuff I read doesn't seem to be about systems that are on Logical Volumes and also it seems that it's about non-efi. I really don't care if it's efi or not as long as it boots. I have a debian 9 live USB to boot from

GarryRicketson

Re: How do I create a new boot

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

Not knowing what "things" you have actually tried makes it harder.
You need to install a boot loader, to do that you first need to decide what boot loader you want to use.
Then you would use the manual for that particular boot loader, follow the instructions on installing it.
Install the boot loader to the new drive, and it should boot.
I have a debian 9 live USB to boot from
I wouldn't count on the recent Debian 9 live CD or USB to do this, there
are to many bugs and problems, if it was me I would use one of my older
reliable "Live CDs".

How to install a boot loader to a Debian system using lvm partitions
Maybe this :
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... 07.html.en
I tried to migrate from one drive to another drive
Depending on how you copied or "migrated" the one drive to another, you
might not even have a usable, bootable system or partition any more , (sorry to say that but that's life)
The data probably is recoverable though, and I am sure you made backups before you started migrating, everybody knows to do that.
In any event some details on how you "migrated" would be use full.

If you do not understand how to install a boot loader, the first thing we need
to know is which boot loader you are going to install, then maybe someone can tell you exactly how to do that.
There are so many different boot loaders, I suppose if you are going to try using
the recent Debian 9 Live, it would be Grub2 ???

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

I moved my OS from one drive to another and it's contained in an LVM.
This looks like a good tutorial :
And it explains what you need to do if it is within a LVM,...
From: http://forums.justlinux.com/showthread. ... up-a-Linux
(B) Linux installed into a LVM - The treatment is same as (A) above except you can identify the LVM partition by Type 8e. The "root=/dev/????" parameter in the kernel statement should be pointing to the LVM partition. Linux boot loaders Grub and Lilo cannot read a LVM and so every distro using a LVM must has a separate /boot partition to store the kernel and initrd files outside the LVM for the boot loader for access.

Seventh

#4 Post by Seventh »

Ive successfully used rescutux to fix up my bootloader after i acciddently borked it, but did not invlove lvm, have a read of it in this link http://www.supergrubdisk.org/rescatux/

It may help you or may not.

Id follow Gary's advice first though.

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

I have not really had much experience with the LVM part, though either.
If any body here on the forum does, there might be some "tips" they can
give.
Usually (without the LVM) it is pretty simple, just install grub to the boot partition,
as long as the "live medium" has the option to install grub, and only install grub,
not re-installing the entire OS, which would overwrite the previous. (hope this make sense),..Since I have not yet tried the Debian 9 live , I am not sure on that.
The Live disk I use is one I made for Debian Squeeze some time ago, it does have a option to just install grub, and allows me to decide where to install grub to, then
it will also run 'update-grub' and it is done.
When I saw the tutorial at "justlinux", in my previous post, and read about grub not being able to see the system within the LVM:
Linux boot loaders Grub and Lilo cannot read a LVM and so every distro using a LVM must has a separate /boot partition
When I saw that it occurred to me this may be why, in spite of the OP having tried many things :
I've tried a bunch of different things and right now ---snip-- most of the stuff I read doesn't seem to be about systems that are on Logical Volumes
It occurs to me, probably this is why the other things they have tried are not working,...
It is hard to say though with out knowing exactly what they have tried, specificly.
----- there is some more I want to say, but later---