Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New Software RAID; Gone After Reboot; mdadm.conf

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
JimLloyd

New Software RAID; Gone After Reboot; mdadm.conf

#1 Post by JimLloyd »

My Newbie background and what happened...
I am new to Linux. Been a Microsoft person since CPM DOS 1.0. I decided to dive in and make a serious RAID PC with a boot SSD and 5 2TB drives for software RAID 5. I set it up in April, and it could not have gone more smoothly. Added Crash Plan for cloud backups and life was great. Then...
Last week, our area had a nearby fire that took out the power lines to my area. I was out of town. The power outages and bounces were too much for the UPS on the PC. By the time I got home, the RAID image had 2 of the RAID drives had GPT errors (like Primary bad, but Backup OK) and the array was basically in read-only mode. Tons of sight searches and efforts, and the drive errors didn't seem repairable with 2 drives in error. I decided I needed to clean the drives and start over, so I backed up everything onto local drives and spent a day learning how to properly use mdadm , gparted and fdisk... so it seemed.

Where I am at...
The RAID array was totally rebuilt and things looked like I had done well. But, after I rebooted the PC, there was no indication of an array. I only see the 5 individual drives. After some looking, I found the mdadm.conf file looked like it did the day I first created the array, back in April. Everything I had done these last few days did not get written. I tried a number of searches looking for a way to rebuild or reassemble the array. It is a bit over my learning level, at this point.
I am just too novice to figure out if I have to start over from scratch or if I can recover all the work I just did. Whatever way I have to go, how can I make sure I don't repeat whatever I didn't do correctly?

If anyone can point me to a URL or at least steer me in the right direction, I would be beside myself in gratitude! Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to assist.

JimLloyd

Re: New Software RAID; Gone After Reboot; mdadm.conf

#2 Post by JimLloyd »

Note: I am running Debian v8.7, from the /etc/debian_version file

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: New Software RAID; Gone After Reboot; mdadm.conf

#3 Post by steve_v »

mdadm --detail --scan >> /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf should add the new array information.

As far as the bigger picture goes, RAID5 is dead, because of stuff like this.
I'd suggest RAID6 or RAIDZ6 (if you have >16GB of ECC RAM), if you care about the data on the array.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.