Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved] English but German (Austria) locale

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Onsemeliot

[solved] English but German (Austria) locale

#1 Post by Onsemeliot »

I want to use Stretch with my normal localisation for Austria but with English (UK) language.

In all Debian versions up to Stretch the installation menu offered me all localisation options no matter what language I went for. But now the installer omits all localisations not usually combined with the chosen language. Therefore, it is new to me that I need to set this after installation by hand.

The Debian wiki describes in simple steps how it might be done, but from what I read there I fear I would be changing the locale too if I switch the language from de_AT.UTF-8 to en_UK.UTF-8. How can I actually set a different language not touching the chosen localisation? In the GUI settings I am limited in the same way as in the installation menu ...
Last edited by Onsemeliot on 2017-07-05 07:59, edited 1 time in total.

Onsemeliot

Re: English but German (Austria) locale

#2 Post by Onsemeliot »

I finally tried it and could get English language in principle. But It's not consistent. The calendar month names are still in German for example.

I will however attempt a new install from the normal installation disc since I discovered this image does offer a proper "expert install" option where I can freely decide many more attributes which are relevant to me.