Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

remapping caps-lock

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
morgon

remapping caps-lock

#1 Post by morgon »

Hi,

some time ago I decided to make use of a key that I never ever use: Caps-Lock.

So in a gnome-startup file I run

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/xmodmap -e 'keycode 66 = F12'
And then is my tmux,conf I have

bind-key -n F12 resize-pane -Z
The result of which is that my pressing Caps-Lock I can zoom and un-zoom a tmux-pane (I do that often).

This used to work for quite some time, but now I've installed stretch (I am starting to regret this) and it still sort of works (panes do get zoomed) but it also toggles Caps-lock now (so zooming a pane also turns on caps-lock).

Why is that all of a sudden and how can I get back to the behaviour I want?

What I want is to zoom panes with the caps-lock-key. Nothing more, nothing less. I do not want any caps-lock-behaviour ever.

How do I do this (and why do so many of my tweaks no longer work in stretch)?

Many thanks!

Bulkley

Re: remapping caps-lock

#2 Post by Bulkley »

I "fat finger" buttons and the caps-lock drove me nuts until I blocked it. I presently use

setxkbmap -option caps:none
in my Openbox autostart.sh. The thing is that before Stretch (or maybe before Systemd) a different instruction was needed. I had to do a lot of searching to find an instruction that worked for me.

So, back to your problem. My guess is that it is time for you to put your Internet search function to work. While many of us use keyboard shortcuts it may be that anyone will know exactly what you need. This guy might have an answer for you. Where I differ from him is that he puts instructions in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/pc while I prefer to keep it in my ~/userspace so I don't accidentally make a mess I can't get out of easily.

Let us know what you find.

morgon

#3 Post by morgon »

Hey, thanks a lot.

"This guy's" hack with "clear lock" seems to do the trick.

All I seem to do at the moment is put in hacks and tweaks that I did not need before, but whatever. I don't need to understand everything as long as the magic works.

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

Can you mark this thread as solved, please. Edit your opening post and put SOLVED in the title. Thanks, it might help someone else.